Chevy Nova Forum banner

821 - 837 of 837 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Incredible!!

One critique, albeit a small one. Can you cover/paint/get rid of the red connector cover on the alternator connection? It sticks out a bit to me (I hate red).

·
Registered
24 Posts
My wife and I purchased this 1967 Nova SS in December 2011 from a guy in Florida. He was selling it because he was getting divorced...[/IMG]
Beautiful car!! I am also building a '67 true SS pro-touring. In the beginning stages. Detroit speed. Front and rear sub-frame. LS3, T56, be cool, vintage air, much more. Will have surplus trim including rear deck lid molding.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Beautiful car!! I am also building a '67 true SS pro-touring. In the beginning stages. Detroit speed. Front and rear sub-frame. LS3, T56, be cool, vintage air, much more. Will have surplus trim including rear deck lid molding.
If you are talking about a be cool radiator....take a look at the entropy radiator church boys racing sells...imo it's the nicest radiator on the market.....I have one in both my cars!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
BuildFan here from BuildThreads, Inc.

Congrats and nice work, terryd67 - this build thread was chosen as a Best Build Thread pick for this week.
What this means is that a bunch of guys who like to build stuff (cars, trucks, 4x4s, bikes, cabins, boats, planes, garages), and have read a ton of build threads, thought that this build thread makes a valuable contribution to online DIY culture.

So, without further ado:

If you like build threads, you can see all our winners here: All Build Thread Trophy Winners. We also have 105 different builds listed from SteveNovaSite.com on our ChevyBuilds.net build site, fully credited to all builders and to SteveNovaSite.com. Hope we've been able to send you guys some good visitors.

And we give away our 50 Must Read Homemade Tools ebook for free to all winners and their forum. You can grab it at the link below. Congrats again and cheers! :beer1:

www.HomemadeTools.net

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #826
Updates..

Hey All! Been a while since we posted. A lot of other projects going on..

So in between I finally took car of couple of pesky items.

Finally found a good tuner. The first place I took it was awful. I won't bash them by name but let's just say they are in waaaay over their heads..
If you are in the Houston, TX area I would HIGHLY recommend Chuck at Houston House of Power. In less than an hour he had her running strong. His price was a third of what I paid the first shop. The first shop's tune wasn't even for the correct displacement engine. In addition he told me that I had one or more bad plug wires. These were new wires but apparently header contact killed them. The DEI boots hid the issue, looks like they won't protect from extreme close contact. He doesn't recommend them. I took them off. He finished up his tune then I took it home. Ran MUCH better on the way home but a bit off of the power I expected from the LS crate engine. When I got home I checked the wires and he was right on the money, 3 bad wires. Put new ones on and holy crap! Pulls strong now!! I haven't had a chance to take it back just to get a pull and see what the number is but I would expect to see about 400rwhp.

The other issue that needed addressing was the "Painful" Keyless Ignition system.
We had issues from the start. Virtually no range on the fobs and intermittently would not crank at all. That was extra annoying with the first tune since it had a tendency to die on deceleration. Sent the unit back and 3 weeks later they sent me a new one. This one fixed the range issue somewhat and the no crank issue, for a while. Wasn't long and the intermittent no crank gremlin was back. Rest assured that over the months I checked, rechecked, rechecked every wire on the whole set up. By this time the warranty had expired.

I was on the fence on whether to just put a key back on or try another system. My build partner (wife) made the final call and I went with a different keyless system. By a stroke of luck at that time the unit I wanted was on sale, a whopping 50% off! Must have been a sign. After extensive research I went with a Digital Dawg I-Key unit. This is a far superior unit in both function and how the unit operates. It works exactly like the unit on our C6 Vette (sold last year). One thing I did not like on the Painful unit was the engine off operation. To kill the engine you had to hold press the brake and hold the start/stop button for 2 seconds. That doesn't sound that long, but if you need to kill the engine in a hurry it feels like an eternity! The Digital Dawg unit kills the engine pretty much immediately. It has a ton more features as well and you can pick from several OEM start buttons.

The unit is two modules, one for the engine start/stop function and the other for communications. The range is great. I only used one of two antennas and range is well over 6 ft. So far so good on this one.

Top: Old unit
Bottom: Digital Dawg unit

Had to pull the dash, again...

Located the communication module above the glove box.

Lexus OEM Start/Stop button

Had a troublesome Power Steering leak to fix too. Just a loose hose fitting at the steering rack. Tough to get a wrench in there!

So for now things are all good. I may play with some stiffer springs in the future to get a bit more ride height. I have the front shocks wound up as far as I am comfortable with now. Also going to switch to some 40 series Flowmaster muffs.

We are starting on our next project, a '72 Trans Am. Will be starting a build thread on it soon, obviously on another site since it's not a Nova!

Have fun with your projects out there in Novaland!
TerryD

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
What Rick said!

SO you didn't like the Pain-less... Just bought it and will, be awhile before I see it put to use... maybe I should make the call now before a refund runs out and pick you the one you like...

Mark

·
Registered
31 Posts
Glad to hear you got some of the bugs worked out of the car! At least you can enjoy it while working on your new project. Hope to see more pictures of the car as you take it out and show it off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pro build

Man, I just looked at all those pictures and all I can say is that is one hell of a fine job. You are a true professional.. Terry C.

821 - 837 of 837 Posts