Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 837 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I purchased this 1967 Nova SS in December 2011 from a guy in Florida. He was selling it because he was getting divorced. He spent 3 years fixing it up and the car had about 3,500 miles on it when he sold it to us. Although it's not a "true" SS, the previous owner did a great job of rounding up all the correct trim, emblems, etc. with the exception of the trunk molding, which we plan on adding. If it keeps the purists happy, we're not molesting a "true" SS. Just building our modern day interpretation. The game plan is to create a Pro-Touring ride with a Vintage vibe. Paying respect to many of the iconic design features that made these cars so cool.

At this point we about 9 months into the build, so we will go back to the beginning to show the road we have travelled so far. Everything except for the upholstery will be done by myself and my wife in our backyard shop. We are not pros for sure but always willing to research and try to tackle on our own. We have been keeping a blog so far but wanted to add this to all of the great content on Steve's.

The following are pics and commentary of the car as we bought it.

The previous owner said he had spend $35,000 alone at the body shop. They replaced every single body panel on the car. The car had an LS1 in it from an '04 Corvette (dyno-tuned to 380 hp), a Keisler 5-speed conversion TKO 500 transmission, a TCI coil-spring front end with 10 1/2" disc brakes, and a 12-bolt rear end with 10" disc brakes. The wheels were 17" Vintage Wheel Works V40's (17x8 in the front, 17x9 in the back) with Sumitomo tires HTR+ tires (225/45ZR17 in the front, 255/45ZR17 in the back).

The interior was pretty much stock-looking SS trim. There was a Hurst shifter and a set of Phantom gauges with carbon fiber bezel.

I drove the car a couple of times and took it to one cruise night. People flocked to this car, just like the previous owner said they would.

After driving it a couple of times, I discovered that I really didn't like the way the car rode and the front end rattled and squeaked. Sounded like an old Econoline van. It was actually a little scary to drive because it felt like it was going to come apart. So that's when we decided to start planning on some upgrades...which, of course, led to pretty much redoing the whole car.

Soooo let the fun begin!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
THE PLAN

Here are our plans for this project:

• Detroit Speed Front Suspension
  • Detroit Speed Rear Suspension - Quadralink with Deep Tubs
  • Ford 9" Rear End (from Detroit Speed)
  • C6 Corvette Z51 Brakes (from Kore3)
  • Vintage Wheel Works V-40's
  • 18 x 9 1/2 (front)
  • 18 x 11 (back)
  • Falken Azenis AT615K Tires
  • 265/35ZR18 (front)
  • 315/35ZR18 (back)
  • GM Performance Parts LS3 376/480 Engine (480 hp)
  • Tremec T56 Magnum 6-Speed Transmission
  • Detroit Speed Stainless Steel LS Headers
  • Vintage Air Polished Front Runner Accessory Drive
  • Detroit Speed Select-a-Speed Wipers
  • Detroit Speed Bright Driver H4 Headlights
  • Custom 3” Stainless Exhaust System
  • Rick's Vaporwork Fuel Tank (with pulse width modulation module)
  • Fesler LED Tail Lights
  • Digi-tails LED Park Lights
  • American Autowire Wiring Harness
  • Painless Phantom Push Button Ignition
  • Vintage Air Sure Fit A/C with Dakota Digital's Climate Control
  • Dakota Digital Carbon Fiber VHX Dash
  • Moderate Sound System
  • Nu-Relic's Power Windows
  • Curello SC Sport Front Bucket Seats (custom upholstery with cues from the original SS design)
We're trying to go for the pro-touring look with a vintage vibe. Basically we want to keep the iconic SS look and update to 21st century power and handling. All the work will be done in our own backyard shop...just 2 average car people. We plan to use the car mainly for touring, car shows, Goodguys, etc. and possibly chasing some cones!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DISASSEMBLY

The rear end was the first to go

Then the exhaust

Gas tank

Then we discovered a hole in the trunk. Urgh! I will definitely have to plug that!

After the 1st day of disassembly

At this point, no big surprises, other than the hole in the trunk floor. Very pleased with the quality of work done on all the sheet metal replacement. The car is solid as a rock.

Time to tear apart the interior and start taping up some of the painted parts of the car.

We have come to realize that all of the work to the car that was professional done (paint/body) was top notch. As we tore into the car, it became apparent that the previous owner must not of had a lot of experience building hot rods - justifying our decision to go through the whole car. Although we appreciate the previous owner's efforts, we plan on building the car to a higher standard.

Just an example, this was a spacer (a wadded paper towel) to hold a bolt in place. And we have yet to find one bolt/screw that is tight. Scary! I think I'm going to give this guy a torque wrench for Christmas. LOL!

A shipment of rear suspension parts arrived from Detroit Speed. Awesome!!! Big thanks goes out to Phil at DSE for all his help and knowledge.

Front end

Got the engine/trans out

I was glad to see this squeaky TCI front end gone!

·
Registered
157 Posts
wow that was a nice looking car. looks like you have a great plan. should be able to sell alot of the unused parts you are taking off the car to help with the cost of the new can't wait to see the finished car.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If you haven't purchased the GMPP 376/480 yet, you could very easily get that LS1 up over 500 hp (at the crank) and still have a pretty tame and reliable engine for a lot less than what it'd cost to buy the LS3.

A mild cam and some ported or aftermarket heads will get you there since the engine already has long tubes and the LS6 intake (assuming it actually is a '04 engine and has the original intake). My daily driven '04 GTO is up there with LTs, AFR 205 heads, and a 224/228 113LSA camshaft.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nice Build

Wow you should have one fast stable lean mean running machine when completed.
I'll be real curious to see how much modification will be required for the Tremec vs the Keisler.....I'm contemplating (at some point doing the LS conversion ) and was wondering why the T-56 versus the Keisler?
Thanks.:yes:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you haven't purchased the GMPP 376/480 yet, you could very easily get that LS1 up over 500 hp (at the crank) and still have a pretty tame and reliable engine for a lot less than what it'd cost to buy the LS3.

A mild cam and some ported or aftermarket heads will get you there since the engine already has long tubes and the LS6 intake (assuming it actually is a '04 engine and has the original intake). My daily driven '04 GTO is up there with LTs, AFR 205 heads, and a 224/228 113LSA camshaft.
Already have the engine, got it at a bargain basement price and couldn't pass it up. With all of the other mods planned I wanted to go with a crate for simplicity. Although I agree with your comments on how easy it is to get lots of power from an LS engine, no matter the displacement. I recently sold my '06 GTO and loved the LS2 as well as the T56.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow you should have one fast stable lean mean running machine when completed.
I'll be real curious to see how much modification will be required for the Tremec vs the Keisler.....I'm contemplating (at some point doing the LS conversion ) and was wondering why the T-56 versus the Keisler?
Thanks.:yes:

The T56 will require tunnel mods to get it tucked up and have the correct angle relationship to the pinion. The TKO that was in there from the previous owner "fit" but clearance was pretty much non-existent. Personally I liked the ratios available with the T56 vs the TKO which is why I went with it. Also capable of handling 700 ft lbs. which in my case pretty much makes it bullet proof.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Plese keep me posted when you sell those used parts, building a 67 and just found out we are having twins, could use a little savings where i can find them

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
COOL, NEW PARTS ARRIVE

Vintage Wheel Works V-40's. We chose these for the vintage vibe, modern sizes and reasonable cost.

18 x 9-1/2's for the front & 18 x 11's for the back. We actually got the very first pair of 18 x 11's they made. Thanks to Eli Velasquez at Vintage Wheel Works...great people!

American Autowire Wiring Harness

Another shipment from DSE

Front Clip

9" Rear End with Quadralink brackets

Detroit Speed LS headers. They are a work of art!

Dakota Digital VHX Dash. They just finished production on these dashes so we're one of the first ones to have it.

A/C vents from Clayton Machine Works that we plan on putting in the dash.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PREP FOR DSE REAR SUSPENSION INSTALLATION

We started with removing the doors.

Once everything was off the car, we wrapped it in 3M Welding & Spark Deflection Paper. This will protect the paint when I'm grinding and welding during the installation of the DSE Quadralink and Deep Tubs.

1 - 20 of 837 Posts