Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I gave myself second degree burns today because I was wearing a watch while measuring the distance from my fan blades to the radiator. WHile not paying close enough attention to how close my arm was to the + side post on my battery, my watch bumped the battery post and took the quickest path to ground.....my wrist & watch.

Needless to say, the watch got VERY hot in during the short firestorm and burnt me pretty good. :eek:

From now on, I won't be wearing my watch while working in the Nova's engine compartment. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
hard lesson ta learn Rex... no watches, rings, necklaces... no jewelry !!!

seen some nasty accidents because of it... i hope yer not hurt too bad and that ya heal quickly ;)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I could think of 100 rude comment to make to you.... only cause Ive done the same thing several times. Lets just say 100 proof Yukon Jack perma frost and electial does not go togeather :eek: :eek: Hope you aint burned bad.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
I would hate to think how many times I have stuck my hand in the engine compartment with a watch on. I'm not married anymore, so I don't wear a ring. If it is any consulation, you tragedy will be a reminder for the rest of us.

I hope you heal fast and fully!!

Randy (And don't do it again!!);)

·
Registered
348 Posts
this may be sick and twisted, but since you're ok.

how about a pic.

Eric

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
74nova350ss said:
this may be sick and twisted, but since you're ok.

how about a pic.

Eric
Thanks guys. Looking at them now after some of the swelling has gone down, they're probably closer to second degree burns than third. The initial blisters were rather grand looking though. :rolleyes: Still a tough lesson to learn, especially when just showing off the car to my dad. :eek:

I'll heal up fine. Ahhh, the wonders of modern medical technology. For multiple reasons, I'm only here today as a result of their existance. :)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
On a side note, which is the worst, 1st degree or 3rd degree? Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but I'm drawing a blank right now. :confused:

Matt

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
I've seen a wrench melted from making contact with both posts, and a friend of mine who was a diesel mechanic for a bus company had his wedding ring fused to his finger from the same thing.

Does the watch still work?
Hope it clears up without complications.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NIGHTSHADE said:
Does the watch still work?
Hope it clears up without complications.
The watch still works great! Fossil watches are OK in my book. Not great conductors though. Too much resistance, they heat up quick. :eek:

I may end up with a couple of tiny scars, but they'll be badges of honor since I got them working on my car. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts