Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Originality.....Tire Size

Hi All,

on my 1970 Nova i've mounted 215-70-15 MT Sportsman S/T at the front and 255-60-15 at the rear axle on 15x7 and 15x8 Rallye Wheels. Now i've got some discussions with the german Department of Motor Vehicles due to the historic originality of that. Has anybody an original brochure, a scan, a pic or something else to document that in some SS-Options or for Factory Racers the Nova has that or equal tires mounted?

For any help, thank you very much in advance.....

CU
Steed

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
70 Nova wheels and tires...

Stock wheels on the Nova would have been 14"....the wheel width varied from 5" to 7" depending upon the application. The stock tire size would have been an E 78 x 14 in black wall or whitewall...SS models would have E 70 x 14 wide ovals. While it was possible to put aftermarket wheels and larger tires on these cars back in the day...they did not come from the factory with the wheels/tires you described.

By the way...why is it an issue with the DMV..??

Hope this helps...wilma

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock wheels on the Nova would have been 14"....the wheel width varied from 5" to 7" depending upon the application. The stock tire size would have been an E 78 x 14 in black wall or whitewall...SS models would have E 70 x 14 wide ovals. While it was possible to put aftermarket wheels and larger tires on these cars back in the day...they did not come from the factory with the wheels/tires you described.

By the way...why is it an issue with the DMV..??

Hope this helps...wilma
Thank you for the fast response. Without a historic certificate you have to pay 1572EUR/year taxes for 383CUI in germany. With that historic certificate 192EUR. To get this certificate you have to show proof of the historic originality of the car......

cu
steed

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Thank you for the fast response. Without a historic certificate you have to pay 1572EUR/year taxes for 383CUI in germany. With that historic certificate 192EUR. To get this certificate you have to show proof of the historic originality of the car......

cu
steed
As already stated those tires are bigger and wider than original. You will also have a problem proving that the 383 cui was original since the correct engine would have been a 350.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Hi steed

Here is a link to the original showroom brochure for the 1970 Nova:
http://www.classicnovas.net/brochure/70-i.htm
Wheels and tires are discussed on pages 8, 10 & 11.

If you want to view brochures for other years, go here:
http://www.classicnovas.net/brochure/index.htm

To go a bit further, an E78/14 would be close to a P195/75R14 while an E70/14 would be closer to a P205/70R14.
Here's a link to a nice tire size conversion chart furnished by TireRack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/45_conversionchart.html

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This helps very much, thank you.

The tires could be a few numbers larger as original and 14" inch tires aren't available in that sizes anymore. All other things that are not original has to be contemporary equipment.

So with your help, i'll be on the right way ;-).

Good Ride.....

steed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts