Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 77 Omega Brougham (PS, PB, AC, V6, Auto) , and have some questions about what I should do.

I have a tan interior, split bench. The seat has tan seat belt guides but black seat belts and black plastic cover on the recoil area, is that correct? The driver side belt is in bad shape and the black seem easier to find but it just looks off as the rest of the entire interior is tan.

I will be replacing the alternator but have a question about amperage. It just has the stock AM radio but I will be adding an under dash radio, a few speakers and possibly an amp. Should I upgrade the alternator above stock? (i'm assuming it's the 63amp version because AC)

Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 79 Nova is beige with tan interior and my seat belts are black. Personally, I always try to upgrade over stock when replacing parts and would look for a higher output alternator.

Hope this helps.
Mike

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Tan interior usually got black belts. That's how my car was.

I would replace with a factory alternator if you aren't working the electrical system real hard (doesn't sound like it). No sense reinventing the wheel.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Yes, black is the correct seatbelt color for many 4th gen X-body cars. Seat belts that are color keyed to match the interior were available as an option (RPO AK1).

The 63A alternator would probably be okay as long as the amplifier you're planning on adding won't be too large. But like Mike said, now would be a good time to upgrade if you're needing to replace the alternator anyway and are planning on adding additional loads to the electrical system.

I believe the stock alternator charge wire is 10ga (protected by a 14ga fusible link where it connects to the BAT post on the starter solenoid). So if you upgrade to a considerably higher output alternator you should also upgrade to a heavier gauge charge wire (and protect it with the appropriate size fusible link).

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
My 76 has buckskin interior and matching belts, same with the clips at the tops of the seats. I actually got one of the clips at the local u-wrench-it a few years back from another buckskin car, buckskin interior and belts.

I'd guess the trim package dictates belt color.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the responses, especially upgrading the wiring. i'll keep an eye out for tan belts but will probably just end up getting the black.

I'm think I'm going with a 100amp alternator. Anyone know if it's a 1 wire or 3 wire on the oddfire buick v6?

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
I'm think I'm going with a 100amp alternator. Anyone know if it's a 1 wire or 3 wire on the oddfire buick v6?
Factory alternator would be a 3 wire ... most likely a Delco 10SI. The 1-wire versions started off primarily for use on farm/industrial equipment but became popular additions/retrofits to cars due to their easy hookup. I'd recommend staying with a 3-wire alternator ... see the writeup on the MAD Electrical website for a good explanation --> http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses, especially upgrading the wiring. i'll keep an eye out for tan belts but will probably just end up getting the black.

Tan is a fairly common seatbelt color. If you have to replace the belts anyway, maybe tan would be nice, even if you leave the retractor pods black (even those can be dyed buckskin).

·
Registered
118 Posts

It should be a three wire alternator. I've never seen a factory installation that was a one wire. The Skylark I have was originally equipped with the Buick v6, and I had to modify the harness to fit the chevy v8 in it now. The alternator wiring was definitely for a three wire system.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My car has blue interior with blue belts. Also try looking at Snake Oyl Products, they restore seat belts, as an option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts