Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice looking '66 - not perfect, but better than most! I'll be following this one to see what it brings.

·
Registered
583 Posts
that potential firewall rot on the driver's side is a bit of a concern. certainly some bondo work done to it. i love the original cars to see how the factory did the trim. like, noticed the firewall pad rubber piece under the carpet near the pedals, but over the carpet on the hump. who knew?

definitely curious what it will bring. how do you find out?

btw, great year!

-Rusty

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
Cool car. I like the custom seat covers :)

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that potential firewall rot on the driver's side is a bit of a concern. certainly some bondo work done to it. i love the original cars to see how the factory did the trim. like, noticed the firewall pad rubber piece under the carpet near the pedals, but over the carpet on the hump. who knew?
It's always fun to look at the details on original cars. The firewall rust is a problem on these cars - something that the folks out west don't have to deal with often.

definitely curious what it will bring. how do you find out?
There are a couple of different ways. The easy way is just to bookmark the link and bring it up after the auction ends, which will happen 8/24. The other way is to sign into bringatrailer.com, go to the car you're interested in and click on the "Watch" button near the top of the page. When you sign in, you leave a cell number. Bring-a-Trailer will text you when there's 30 minutes left on the auction clock. Leaving a cell number with them seems to be very safe. They've had my number forever and have never texted or called me unless I left instructions.

·
Super Moderator
3,843 Posts
Not from the Bay Area, but I'm thinking that a few Marin area cars will have some rust close as they are to the bay. Very cool car, and I enjoy seeing how an original owner tries their best to keep a car like that running, looking decent and viable as transportation for so long. Well loved. Sure there are some issues, but that they didn't give up on it for so long! So close to a large urban area, this '66 got it's smog pump and kept it all these years--a tough group of parts to find anymore. I'll follow that.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It's always fun to look at the details on original cars. The firewall rust is a problem on these cars - something that the folks out west don't have to deal with often.

There are a couple of different ways. The easy way is just to bookmark the link and bring it up after the auction ends, which will happen 8/24. The other way is to sign into bringatrailer.com, go to the car you're interested in and click on the "Watch" button near the top of the page. When you sign in, you leave a cell number. Bring-a-Trailer will text you when there's 30 minutes left on the auction clock. Leaving a cell number with them seems to be very safe. They've had my number forever and have never texted or called me unless I left instructions.
thanks for the info, sir!

-Rusty

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just found this myself. Glad to see it's already posted on SNS - can't say I'm surprised at this community looking out for each other!

·
13,715 Posts
If this car could talk it would tell us quite a story, I'm sure. Where did it lose it's hood molding and factory side trim (appears after market on it now)? Did it spend time in Hawaii? Could account for a lot of the corrosion. Has to be a story behind that Israel sticker, too. Did they not like the Sandalwood Tan color? The repaint is almost copper. Have doubts about the safety of that DIY shoulder belt. Neat that it still has the A.I.R. equipment. Love seeing this type of car where there's no restoration, just stuff done over the years to keep it decent looking and running.

I agree that cars in the west that sit where they can pick up ocean spray and mist can be rust sensitive. Just got back from the coast of Vancouver Island. Big wind last Monday night. No rain, but ocean mist coming through the trees. Our SUV was wet with salt water on Tuesday morning. We're always aware that collector cars that have a lot of island or coast years are prone to rust.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,843 Posts
I have owned and driven worse cars than that. Considering the elements, the original owner tried their best and kept a lot original. I'm one of those guys who can't afford to always jump in on a pristine unrestored, so I think it will definitely sell to someone like me.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
i looked at the cowl tag an has 12 A first week of dec 1965. so there was no seat belt bracket under the head liner. an the shoulder belt brackets weren't installed till feb 1966. an the bottom of the cowl tag was drilled with a 5/32 dia. hole to show it had the bracket. so i guess thats why the strange anchor point on the quarter window. but its still a very nice sport coupe.

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've thought from the beginning that this car may have been involved in some type of light left-front corner accident. So... I posted the question on the auction platform and listed the reasons I had for asking it. I hope I don't get the House of BaT crashing down on me!

·
Super Moderator
3,843 Posts
'The House of BaT' is a little too precious and self-important for the likes of me. More power to the sellers and there are some great cars there, but you'll never see my British racing green over biscuit interior Nova offered there with substantive refurbishments, spares and San Gabriel provenance. Sheesh.

I'm ignorant of the seat belt bracket timing on '66 models. Wonder where you learned that the hole in the cowl tag was for the installation of the brackets, and also where you learned that Feb '66 was the start of the bracket. Not disputing at all, but just wanted to know if you realized that by looking at a ton of '66 cars or if there is supporting literature. Good info!

·
13,715 Posts
I'm ignorant of the seat belt bracket timing on '66 models. Wonder where you learned that the hole in the cowl tag was for the installation of the brackets, and also where you learned that Feb '66 was the start of the bracket. Not disputing at all, but just wanted to know if you realized that by looking at a ton of '66 cars or if there is supporting literature. Good info!
Frank, I think this mid February 1966 Chevrolet Engineering notification was posted here a couple of years ago.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
'The House of BaT' is a little too precious and self-important for the likes of me. More power to the sellers and there are some great cars there, but you'll never see my British racing green over biscuit interior Nova offered there with substantive refurbishments, spares and San Gabriel provenance. Sheesh.

i was pretty sure i had read that about the bracket in the nova site here some time in the past. an always remembered the fact as my 66 was made18 feb 66 an has that 3/16'' dia hole in the cowl tag.

bob thanks for posting a picture of that GM document

·
Registered
583 Posts
i mentioned to the local car guru last week that 66's had a provision after a certain date for seat belts in '66. he insisted it was only a California option.

i would love to print this out, but don't want to start a fight. plus, it would go over like this:

-Rusty

·
Super Moderator
3,843 Posts
Manufacturers were getting ready to comply with FMVSS 209 for safety belts. All cars had to comply by March 1, 1967, and I think that included rear lap belts and a provision for optional shoulder belts to add to the lap belt, and all cars to have front seat lap and shoulder belts by '68. 201 through 211 I think were for '67 model year, and you can see the changes in any '67 Nova over a '66. Your guru might have been thinking about smog equipment.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Manufacturers were getting ready to comply with FMVSS 209 for safety belts. All cars had to comply by March 1, 1967, and I think that included rear lap belts and a provision for optional shoulder belts to add to the lap belt, and all cars to have front seat lap and shoulder belts by '68. 201 through 211 I think were for '67 model year, and you can see the changes in any '67 Nova over a '66. Your guru might have been thinking about smog equipment.
nope, he meant shoulder belts, alright.

he is the same person who told me the '63 beltline trim never came painted ermine white, the way mine is.

-Rusty

1 - 20 of 22 Posts