Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an original Duel Snorkel air cleaner top. It was being prepped for chrome so the snorkels were removed. It never got done so I will have to get it chrome plated. My question is...how were the snorkels held in place? Were they riveted or tack welded? Should I have them chromed separately or attach them and then chrome the whole thing? I should be receiving it by Monday and then will take it to the plater on Tuesday or Wednesday. They quoted $250 -$275 based on the pictures I sent. Their work is excellent.

·
13,442 Posts
The snorkels on my original L79 air cleaner were welded....very poorly. I've heard these air cleaners can be difficult to chrome plate because of the snorkels. Your plater should be able to guide you on this. Not questioning your platers abilities, but It's a real deal for the price range you've stated.

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob. A guy I know has one and I thought he had said the same thing as far as welds go. His was falling off. but it has been a long time and I lost touch. My chrome guy will know what to do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I bought the air cleaner. It was not so bad on the top but the underside, which I never saw a pic of, was pretty ugly. The chrome guy said they could clean up and I believe just nickel plate. So my new question about the snorkels. Were they pretty flush when tack welded or were they little gaps as if they did not seat up against the main body that well? When I slide them on either side they do not snug up perfectly and there are a little gaps between them and the main body. Is that normal or are they bent or warped? I will have to live with it but the chrome plater will get everything done up for me so I don't have to search for welders and what not. Hopefully they will make them fit proper. This guy does work for high end clients.

·
13,442 Posts
The snorkels on my original L79 air cleaner were just like you're describing. The mid sixties finest automotive workmanship and quality:)

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have pics or can take pics of the snorkel placement and welds on on original air cleaner. The chrome shop is getting ready to do it's thing and want to know where they were welded on or if they were soldered all around the snorkel. I believe I was told they just had tac welds in a couple of spots just to keep them in place.

Thanks
Michael

1 - 6 of 6 Posts