Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my 1970 (trim code: 745) front seat started tearing endlessly I decided to redo the seat. My problem was Cloth/Vinyl seat covers aren't made for my Nova! Finally I found a place near my house that does great upholstery work and specializes in classic cars and they informed me of a place in Oregon called SMS Auto Fabrics which stocks classic car fabrics. So I e-mailed them and they sent me a sample of the fabric for my car which was 100% correct. I'm having the fabric installed next week, which I'm very excited about.

The only downside is that their prices are a little steep. $89/yard and needed 3.5 yards for both front and back seats (not including vinyl which I didn't need, but runs $49/yard).

So I just thought I'd save all of you who are looking for the "exactly as original" look and feel, like myself, the time of searching for the correct fabric.

I'll be sure to post pics of the before and after!

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Re-covering seats..

Since you went to so much trouble and expense to get the right material, be sure do the job completely. Have the seats checked thorougly for any damaged or sagging springs and/or seat frame, adjuster mech. etc.. If repairs are needed get it done now. Most drivers sides usually need some work....then have the seats blasted and paint with cast steel resto paint. Use some new foam and padding and then recover with new vinyl/cloth. You will be amazed how good the seats look and feel. If you already have all this in the plan, great, perhaps the info may help others.

wilma:shh:

ps. I'm getting some material from those guys soon for a seat resto myself.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I also ordered original seat material for my '72 from SMS. I was very impressed that they had the exact material, even in the exact "covert" color.

I think it is worth it to pay a little more and get the stock appearance and original material. My '72 standard covers are not being reproduced by anyone.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Original Fabric Material/ Vinyl

I also ordered some fabric/vinyl yard goods for my '70 from a place called ORIGINAL AUTO INTERIORS, out of Michigan. I also checked out a fabric sampling from SMS but found that the same pattern fabric was a little thinner along with the vinyl and the grain was a bit different than the original pattern. The O.A.I. material was 'dead nuts' exact. The cost back then was around $35 a yd. compared to today's cost. I always wondered if the fabric is "duplicated" or if it was from the original bolts of fabric/vinyl left over from the day, as they claim. I find it hard to believe that after all these years there still exists enough of this material to retail in such quantities. All I can imagine is some "sweat shop" in China weaving this material as the orders come in from SMS or O.A.I. Either way, the fabric is fantastic and I'm glad to have gotten enough for any future needs while it was still available. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts