Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to start another thread, but I finally managed to get a solid days work in on my Nova today and I have come back with questions.

I have a set of original 63 front seats that are in pretty poor condition. They would need to have new padding put in them and a seat cover stitched over (to save me a few bills), as well as polishing or purchasing of replacement metallic pieces.

Let me preface my question by saying that I am not into originality, I'm into the car being comfortable and fun.

What I'm wondering, for those of you who have original seats: do you slide around a lot? Are they comfortable? Can I drive several hundred miles, get out and within a few minutes feel alright? Or will I be sore for days?

I know the advantages of replacing them with bucket seats are fairly considerable. Not only could I find a lot of inexpensive newer seats, but the included gadgetry is cool. Like butt warmers. Even though I never use them.

The problem with this is that I would have to figure out something for a center console, whereas, from my understanding, with the originals you would have a pseudo-bench seat that would not require a console. Additionally, I would have to fabricate some mounting brackets in the likely event the new seats don't drop right in.

On the other hand, having original front sits to match the original back seat (which is in good condition, all things considered) would be pretty sweet.

Ok, long enough post. Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I took my "racing" seats out and spent good money to find a set of usable '63 frames. I reupholstered them and am quite pleased with the comfort. I do autocross the car and they are less than supportive, but somehow, I manage. :rolleyes:

If you decide to sell them, the rebuildable frames are probably worth $250-$300. The seat tracks, which you probably won't/can't use with aftermarket seats are probably worth another $100.

The covers are probably going to cost you $200. The foam, probably another $150. If you upholster them yourself (which is totally doable) you're probably going to be out another $50-$75 in supplies. If you have an upholstery shop do them, you're looking at another $300-$350.

Your call!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I drove 6000 miles in 9 days on freshly rebuilt 63 bucket seats. They are comfortable but do have you shifting around in hard cornering. Maybe if you had custom foam made and change the material you could improve the lateral support. I remember looking at Crystler Labaron conv seats maybe mid 90s, they fold forward and had the sholder belt built in.

·
Registered
788 Posts
SS bucket seats

can be very comfortable. I have driven over 100,000 miles in my convertible and the best times have been with new seat foam and new OEM type nauga.

I think they are very comfortable and will do nicely for long distance driving.

BTW if you install front and rear sway bars, you will much less shifting of your posterior! I know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts