Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice,warnings, info on shipping,duties,taxes,charges associated with ordering parts from Summit Racing?

I want to order my eaton posi unit.
-$400us. at Summit:D

-$600can. at Mopac in Langley:)

-$870can. locally:eek:

Which way to go?

Thanks for any advice in advance-wolfen

·
Registered
574 Posts
unless you have u.s. address your stuck with brokeradge and shipping i just got back from bellingham with my new winters quickchange rear

·
Registered
20 Posts
re: shipping from US

Wolfen, if you have parts shipped from the U.S. get them to ship U.S.post I have done this many times no duties ,no tax, and it is delivered to to your door there is just a $5.00 handling fee charged by Canada Post. (shipped my posi that way no problems)
Rick

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! the more I save the more I'll have for better heads next year:D

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
DO NOT USE UPS TO GET IT SHIPPED INTO CANADA!!! A UPS shipment to Canada is a huge mistake. They will stick it to you big time. Mail is by far the best. Get ready to pay both taxes, which you have to if you buy it here anyway. No big deal. I see the post above says no taxes, but I have always had to pay them, so just prepare for the worst! Also the post office charges a small (very reasonable) fee for clearing customs for you. No big deal.

Carl

·
Registered
287 Posts
US buying

With the dollar getting close to par it's better than ever to shop in the US.

I have a PO box just across the line, so no biggie for me. I have heard of people receiving invoices from Canada revenue from parcels shipped to your home. This comes from the "declared value" I assume, something to be aware of.

If I was going to give a good piece of advice...do not order anything that is made or manufactured outside of north america.

Bought some Japanese shocks one time and OUCH!!! bent me over the counter big time. 14% duty on Can. amount + 7% GST + 7% PST =more than if I bought them here. And yes, that is a "tax on a tax".

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey Wolfie!
Long time no talk.
I've done the U.S. orders by Post, UPS & buying from Gasoline Alley. (who buy from the U.S.) What the guys here have said is true, from my experience.
Canada Post will chage you a handling fee of 5 bucks, & you can pick th parts up in your own neighbourhood. I Don't recall being charged GST. But it's been a few years.
UPS = %#^&(*& They are money hungry thieves. I've used them twice. (really, they used me) One, an $18 item, the other a $27 piece. Each time, they charged me $35 brokerage fee plus the frieght charge each time.
I like the advantage of buying from Gasoline Alley for a couple of reasons.
Their prices are comparable
They buy a lot of suff from their suppliers so frieght & brokerage fees are more reasonable
Probably the best thing though is If parts are wrong or defective, all I have to do is send them back to a local supplier.

BTW......Hope that Okanagan summer is upon you.
I here the've named the new bridge......Wolfen Way ins't it?

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Roy....Wolfen Way sounds better than Bill Bennet Bridge(to me anyway):D
I'll check with them first before I order this week(gasoline alley).

Summer is coming and going from day to day here, but have done some camping and boating already so not so bad.

·
14,013 Posts
Wolfen, Hot Rods and Classics in Chilliwack picks up their own U.S. orders at a shipping receiver in Sumas, Washington, eliminating alot of brokerage and cross border costs. Their prices are reasonable on U.S. product. You might want to try them.
I feel for you guys that aren't close to a border crossing. I'm only 5 minutes from Sumas, so I use the same shipping receiver and have all my U.S. parts and Ebay purchases sent there. The shipper charges $3 per order and that includes a phone call when it arrives. Sometimes customs just waves me thru on small orders and I don't pay anything. As long as the stuff is for personal use and not for business or resale, they're pretty easy to get along with. I know some folks in the south Okanagan who sometimes pickup in Oroville, Washington, but that's a little distant for you Kelowna guys.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ordered my Eaton Posi from Summit. I'll update when it arrives.

Thanks for the help:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Last time I had ordered parts they were marked for a classic car (20 years or older I think) and we only had to pay one tax . A big +1 to not using UPS because the fees were massive .

·
Registered
34 Posts
i order from the states a bit. try to get usps to ship it is the most important thing to remember. sometimes i pay gst + pst on the value declared to usps, sometimes i dont, not sure but i think it depends on what type of item it is.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Hey Wolfie... i sent a shifter to a fellow member in Canada and i marked it as a "Gift" i dunno how it went after i sent it from the USPO but i believe it all went A-OK. maybe if there's someone ya trust in the States, send 'em the cash, let them make yer purchase and send it to ya as a Gift... maybe ???

hope i helped ya :D

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
And it actually was a gift (thanks for that, I'm making use of it too!). Don't push it and use the "gift" idea if it actually isn't though. Customs agents are not fools. It is definitely NOT worth being branded as a crook and screwing up future chances at importing stuff, if you know what I mean. With the strong Canuck dollar right now, the taxes etc are minor anyway.

Carl

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well...I just recieved my Eaton Posi unit:D

As stated before it was $870cdn plus taxes locally.....

$600cdn plus taxes and shipping from Vancouver

$399US +$9 pkg. from Summit+$55US shipping(postal)
which totalled $527 cdn funds.

$62.50cdn. was due for taxes and handling at time
of pickup.

It took 18 days to arrive.

Thanks to all for the advice! :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
so just curious,after getting your posi from summit you saved about 50 bucks from ordering it from vancouver?? thanks cranker

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Some advice if you choose to order again from the states. I do this quite often, actually just got back from picking up a bunch of parts a couple hours ago. With you being in Westbank (or anyone close to a border crossing), go to the UPS website and do a search for shipping locations for the Oroville crossing. Then check the places and see which ones take shipments on your behalf. You don't need to set up a PO box to do it. For example, I get stuff shipped to a place in Sumas called Ship Happens. All you do is have them put your name with their address. They email you when the stuff comes in. I usually wait for a bunch of stuff to come in and then make a day trip out of it. The nice thing about that is you have a US address to ship to and places like Summit and Jegs ship for free. Go down and pick up the parts and bring them over yourself. You save a ton on brokerage fees and on shipping and all it costs you is your time and gas. You still have to pay gst and pst on the parts, but it's usually the brokerage that kills you. Today I picked up 7 packages and it cost me $28 in handling fees. They charge $4 a package to accept on your behalf. Larger packages they charge $10. I think I paid $10 or $20 to have a crate engine shipped to them.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
^^ I agree with you I am in Ontario. but i have my own PO Box in Michigan since it is only a hour drive. i get all my parcels shipped there when i cross the boarder i declare everthing and they just make you pay tax/

but its strange how they figure the tax i had 1100 in parts i paid 90 in tax

1 - 20 of 24 Posts