Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
The manufacturer dictates the muffler size based on what you want for flow. The muffler shop will install the pipe accordingly. I am putting 2.5 inch Dynomax Turbos on my car for better flow and less noise. The muffler shop will design a system to fit my muffler. Not the other way around. If the manufacturer says install this outlet towards the headers, the the muffler shop will shape their pipe to fit and same with the tail pipes.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,897 Posts
Tubing is measured by outside diameter. (Think of the tubing used in a roll bar) Pipe is measured by inside diameter. (Think plumbing) Tubing is used for structural engineering, pipe is used for flow. When it comes to exhaust the proper terminology is pipe as it is for flow but for some reason the outside diameter is the way it is measured.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Exhaust pipe, as noted above, is designated by OD.

ID for the front because the muffler slips over the exhaust pipe;od for the exit because the tail pipe will slip over the muffler.
Not always.
Some brands are different. Even some mufflers are different, within the same brand.

Case in point:
I bought a Dynomax 'mid-back' kit to replace the rotten system on my truck. The included muffler slipped over the exhaust pipe at both the inlet and exit.
That muffler sounded terrible, and was replaced in just four days. A temporary replacement, also a Dynomax, was the opposite of what you describe. The muffler inlet was meant to slip inside the exhaust pipe, while the exit slipped over. (Designed that way - not a reverse installation.)
And the permanent replacement, a Walker "Hush Thrush" intended as an "OE replacement" on a 1992 Cadillac, slipped over the inlet and exit pipes, as well; but with a much tighter fit (no complaint here, it was easier to weld).

The manufacturer dictates the muffler size based on what you want for flow. The muffler shop will install the pipe accordingly. I am putting 2.5 inch Dynomax Turbos on my car for better flow and less noise. The muffler shop will design a system to fit my muffler. Not the other way around. If the manufacturer says install this outlet towards the headers, the the muffler shop will shape their pipe to fit and same with the tail pipes.
Muffler shop!?
What is this nonsense?
Break out the welder and 'git er dun'!
;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts