Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to take the chance and ordered a NOS Powershot kit for the ZZ4.
After asking a few questions here combined with some additional research, as long as I play conservative with the n2o, seems little chance of tearing up the motor. And just to be safe may jet down from the 125 shot to a 100 or less to start.

Dont know if I'll get it installed yet this season depends how things go once the car is back on the road.

Well had hoped for bottom 12's with the head work, new cam, new convertor (old best 12.69) which seemed realistic, but now maybe high 11's aren't out of the picture!
What do you guys think? Possible with a 75-100 shot?

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
Retard spark 2 degrees for every 50 horse. I do mine with a MSD digital 6. You'll put the big jets in soon enough.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm not sure who talked you into spraying a ZZ4, but that engine has hypereutectic pistons...And in that case, I'll be the first to say good luck!

With that said, a "powershot" kit is fixed/factory set at a supposed 125hp tune.You could drill out the plate to accept jets, but you can only go up so much without maxing out the solenoids.

Anybody on this site who's never sprayed anything hard (and had it live) will say that I'm an idiot for saying this, but recommended NOS jetting is way too fat and will sooner than later hurt parts. Lean tune ups without detonation don't hurt parts. Fat tune ups do.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pistons are main concern

I'm not sure who talked you into spraying a ZZ4, but that engine has hypereutectic pistons...And in that case, I'll be the first to say good luck!

Anybody on this site who's never sprayed anything hard (and had it live) will say that I'm an idiot for saying this, but recommended NOS jetting is way too fat and will sooner than later hurt parts. Lean tune ups without detonation don't hurt parts. Fat tune ups do.
Yup am concerned about my pistons which is why I'll play pretty conservatively. Did quite a few searches on ZZ4/nitrous and didnt see anything bad reported when using 50-125 HP shots.

Can you elaborate some on your last statement/paragragh? Don't understand how erring on the rich side is going to harm things. Sounds like playing it safe to me but I dont know squat to be honest.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Probably 99% of the racing community have this misconception that a rich tune up is safe. I never understood this...Why does having entirely too much fuel make it safe? What most people don't get, is that too much fuel will get past the rings and lift the ring lands of the pistons. Normally, this is how people hurt their nitrous engines. Ring seal is the most important part of a nitrous engine (in my opinion). Oil in the chamber is what melts pistons...Not a lean tune up. An overly lean tune up can cause detonation, which rattles the rings causing oil to get in the chamber and then it will melt a piston..Lean without detonation is good.

Spark plugs don't lie. Read them correctly, and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
The Powershot is not adjustable.

The Super Powershot is though. It will go to 175 HP.

I've gone 175 with cast pistons and crank and did not have a problem.

The Powershot and Super Powershot are entry-level kits though not really designed for the serious racer. They'll give you a little boost but it won't be long before you'll want more.

The Cheater is the best all around plate system made by NOS and is a serious performance kit. It can go from 150 to 250+ HP.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cast stuff

The Powershot is not adjustable.

The Super Powershot is though. It will go to 175 HP.

I've gone 175 with cast pistons and crank and did not have a problem.

The Powershot and Super Powershot are entry-level kits though not really designed for the serious racer. They'll give you a little boost but it won't be long before you'll want more.

The Cheater is the best all around plate system made by NOS and is a serious performance kit. It can go from 150 to 250+ HP.

I remain convinced as long as I take it easy and conservative with the use of the N2O wont hurt the ZZ4.
Once I get it installed theres a shop with a dyno and lots of nitrous experiance I can go to for tuning help. The peace of mind should be worth the money and I know they'll teach me a few things as well.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Probably 99% of the racing community have this misconception that a rich tune up is safe. I never understood this...Why does having entirely too much fuel make it safe? What most people don't get, is that too much fuel will get past the rings and lift the ring lands of the pistons. Normally, this is how people hurt their nitrous engines. Ring seal is the most important part of a nitrous engine (in my opinion). Oil in the chamber is what melts pistons...Not a lean tune up. An overly lean tune up can cause detonation, which rattles the rings causing oil to get in the chamber and then it will melt a piston..Lean without detonation is good.

Spark plugs don't lie. Read them correctly, and you'll be fine.

X100000000000!!!!:yes: I dont know how many times ive explained this to people but it still seems to be one of those things that need to be drilled. and yes the power shot is factory set at 75 hp and the super power shot is adjustible. a hypertectic piston will live with out failer with the right tune. i have had hyp. pistons in my chevelle for the past 10 years with out any problems and it get 150 hp of spray almost every weekend. we have ran 400 HP of spray on these same pistons and they lived. its all in the tune and learning how to properly read the plugs!! depending on how you will be delivering fuel and how much timing you run inital will depend on how much timing to take out. on anything 100 HP or under i never touch the timing. im slamin a 275-300 on my car and only pull 8 out. just depends. ask as many ?'s as you can that way you can have a good expierience with the juice instead of doing it wrong and hating it!! good luck!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts