Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

my '72 Nova project nears the time when I'll be replacing the quarter panels, wheel housings, tail panel, trunk drop downs, and the deck-lid filler.

I've selected all AMD parts for this.

My car is welded to a frame jig, level and square... with a new tube frame chassis.

The quarter on the driver side is straight... showing no evidence of a previous wreck or anything. The original deck lid lines up nicely.

The passenger side quarter is another story. It appears to have been smacked in the past. I bondo'd it up the first time I restored this car in 2003... but the deck lid always overhung this area when square everywhere else, and the contour no longer matches that of the trunk. I can visibly see where the top of the tail panel is pushed in.

I was thinking I'd approach the project as follows:

-Make sure the doors alight with the quarter panel.
-Align the deck lid using the driver side quarter panel, primarily. Make sure the gap for the deck lid is good everywhere but the pass side quarter panel corner I'm concerned about.
-Brace the driver Quarter panel a bit so the tail panel has a good reference.
-Remove the passenger side panel, inner wheel housing, drop downs, and the tail panel.
-Prep all joints
-Screw the passenger side components in place
-Repeat for the driver side.
-Make sure everything lines up.
-Remove one quarter panel, place a few welds for the wheel houstings and trunk drop downs... test fit the QP.... final weld the wheel housings and inner components
-Repeat for Driver side
-Final fit the quarter panels and tail panel
-Weld/check/weld/check

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Is there a better way to do it? On one hand, keeping everything adjustable means I can balance out any deviations... but I also don't have a fixed reference anymore.

Also, where in this process should I replace the deck filler? I'm leaning towards doing it after everything else is done, I just won't weld the old one to the new quarter panels until that's all complete.

Thanks

·
Registered
928 Posts
I would refrain from cutting the whole ass end off if you can. It sounds like the drivers side quarter has good gaps and is fine. I would start by replacing the right quarter, deck filler and tail panel using the lt quarter as a reference. get a good door gap on the rt quarter and x-referance on the decklid opening. once you have a good door and trunklid gap weld it up move on to the left side.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would work passenger side to drive side. If driver quarter is good and you like all the gaps from the door and deck lid, I would cut the passenger quarter, deck lid filler, and tail panel off. Get all those panels fitted to the deck lid/driver quarter Weld the passenger quarter, filler, and tail light panel, except where it meets driver quarter. Then do the driver quarter after. Think of it as 2 jobs instead of 1 big job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts