Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Nova has been sitting the last couple years and the 2 year old Optima is so dead the car wouldn't take a jump this weekend. I know I should have disconnected the battery during storage, but didn't. The battery has very little use, just a handful of starts since the car's been stored.

Is the battery junk or willl it take a charge? I have heard these dry cell batterys are hard to recharge.

Thanks, John.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Put a slow trickle charge on it and I think it will be ok. My dad had one sitting for a few years and all we did was trickle charge it for a couple days and it is still working to this day!

·
Registered
609 Posts
try a 2 amp charge for 4-6 hours on and off for a couple of days. slowly increasing how long its being charged. EX 2 hours, rest for 1, 3 hours, rest for 1, 4 hours rest for 1 ect ect

If that doesnt work its junk

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
It's better to do a slow charge.

But if your charger in low amps does not put out 14volts it's not going to help a spirial core battery.

Need 14 volts min to charge.

Al

·
Registered
309 Posts
X2 on everyone else , my Dad just burnt one up in his been sitting too long hotrod, and from what my research said everyone else on here is right

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

It looks like I might get lucky. I borrowed my dads cheapy Craftsman charger and put it on a 10 amp deep cycle for a few hours and it's taking a charge. It's charged enough to turn the engine over but not quite up to 12 volts yet. I'll finish trying to charge it tomorrow. Hopefuly it'll be okay.

John.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It's better to do a fast high charge for 1hr,to get it ready to take a charge. Then slow charge it,each hr watch it for not cooking, take's 4to5hrs to full charge. I have good luck this way.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You may get lucky. These batteries are nice and expensive but I am beginning to not care for them too much because they will go south very quick. I've had mine sit for a few months and they are dead as a door nail. They take a LONG time to charge so take the advice given above and try it out. If you said it almost cranked it over then you should be good to go but you also need to see if it will hold the charge for a few days. It may be good to turn it over and drive but then you might park it for a day or two and it's dead again. If so then time for a new one.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car has been sitting since Wed and it started right up a few minutes ago. I wish I had a battery tested here to see if it is indeed holding it's charge, but all signs point to yes at the moment. I'll give it a few more days and cross my fingers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts