Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time back I mentioned that I would have the 327 removed from the old chevy. I've checked various web sources for specs and codes etc. but now I'm confused.

The casting code appears to be 3858180, however, the suffix code denotes ZI. Some sources indicate corvette block 1964-1966, however, the ZI suffix denotes Chevy II...right? Plus various web sources reflect the HP rating for this engine as being 350 Hp, 365 Hp and 375 Hp. What is the correct information on this?

P.S. I was able to find casting date of D226, which I believe is April 22, 1966?

Good news though. This engine was sitting in the car for over 25 years and found that it is NOT seized. Rotating assembly stuff turns OK.

P.P.S. Were these engines "factory installed" in any other cars other than corvettes and novas.

Thanks in advance

Ron

A

·
0 Posts
According to Mortec, its a '64-'66 year motor, with 2 bolt mains.
I'm also going through a similiar excercise trying to find out what my 427 came out of. It's one that was listed for a Vette but not sure.
Check out Mortec below if you already don't have it.
Some good information.
AG
http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
I think, though I'm not an early gen Nova guy, that all the early Nova V8's had the recessed oil filter boss to clear the suspension/crossmember (or something like that)....does this motor have the recessed oil filter boss?:)

Also I think all the early gen Nova V8's had a threaded mounting hole in one of the main bearing webs for a support bracket for the front sump oil pan pickup tube....for it to be an original Nova V8 I'm sure it would have this too....:)

BTW welcome to the site...its nice to see another Canadian join up (I'm originally from Ontario myself;))

1 - 3 of 3 Posts