Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting my engine build this week 350 ci stroked to 396 ci and need opinions on what manufactuer to use for crankshaft,rods and pistons. Seems as though most of the crankshaft companies are using chinese steel is this good or bad? I'm shooting for about 600 hp. RICK

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Callies, Eagle or Ohio Crankshaft.

Ohio Crankshaft is a good company to deal with.

Scat is Chinese (oh, but it's machined here). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
In my book..... Anything Callies makes is top notch stuff! :yes:

I'm surprised Big Al hasn't chimed in. :confused:

He usually has some interesting advice, angles, takes, whatever. :yes:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
95% of all the crank shaft raw castings are coming from Mexico, North Africa and Turkey.

For the Money Eagle, Manley, then you have Callies, Carrello

IMHO
AL

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Ohio crank in mine for several years now--can't remember how many blocks it's lived in! I think it was $475 back then; only $515 now.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry mods. Big AL pm sent. RICK

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Thanks I will check with Ohio crank. What do you know about these Callies stroker rods? RICK
http://www.callies.com/connecting-rods/ultra-xd/
I use all Callies rotators so far have served me well never had to send anything back because of poor machine work.

Those callies rods are top notch and will give you more cam clearance then any other rod on the market.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I used SCAT crankshaft and rods in my build quality stuff 8 years ago don't know about now. I used SRP pistons J&E's off brand were very good quality.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm starting my engine build this week 350 ci stroked to 396 ci and need opinions on what manufactuer to use for crankshaft,rods and pistons. Seems as though most of the crankshaft companies are using chinese steel is this good or bad? I'm shooting for about 600 hp. RICK
If your using a stock block it would be a good idea to have it sonic tested and clearance the pan rails before any work is done to see if you hit water or not before putting good parts into your OEM block, Also with that much stroke and your HP level I would not use stock main caps I would go to splayed caps only.

If your serious about a good build buy time you spend good money on a dependable block with splayed caps, decking, line bore and line honing, boring and plate honing and if the lifter bores are worn and need to be sleeved back to STD. you could buy a Dart SHP block all machined and build a 421 that will dependable 3.875 X 4.155

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Carl. The block is a 1970 standard bore 10/20. This motor might have 20,000 miles on it at best. It's going out this week to the machine shop to pressure check and sonic check. Like you said if that checks out good on with the build. It would be nice to keep the block the car originally came with. But if it doesn't pass the test on to the dart block we go. RICK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts