Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with engine builder. His opinion is not to build a 14:1 cr sbc with a stock 4 bolt main block and not to grout the bottom end for strength. He wants me to buy a little m block. What do yall think?

·
Registered
751 Posts
little M's are great blocks. I have a 385 but w/ a stock block, eagle crank rods, je pistons 13.5:1. dart pro1 227's hv1000 intake 980 cfm, 9.27 in a 2450lb car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i agree,little m blocks are great.thats alot of comp for a stock block,those blocks were only originally enginered to a max failure rate of 550 hp,im sure people put them threw way more,but the initial investment is a great insurance policy against scattering all those nice parts or po-go sticking the crank,just my opinion--Dan (and the little m blocks cool better)

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
What do yall think?
If you have the money, sure go for it. I'll just keep plugging along with my my stock blocks. I can go faster than my car is legal to run with just a stock block and a cast crank.
I had a connection to buy one of those blocks a few years ago for $800--had I known how fast the price was going to skyrocket I would have jumped on it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really don't have the money. I just want it to hold together. What kind of HP do you have in a stock block?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
What kind of HP do you have in a stock block?
I ran a stock 4-bolt main 14.5-1 compression 400 with a cast crank and stock rods for many years--it had iron heads and ran 10.80's the way I drove it across the country with 3.73 gears; and with a 200 shot it ran 9.87. I'd probably still be using it if I hadn't put so many miles on it that it needed to be bored out to the next size--I traded it to a friend who had a block that cleaned up at .030 over, so I put all my stuff in that block, which turned out to have a crack in it! The block I have now is only .020 over and has splayed caps, bushed lifter bores and a ton of little tricks done to it--cost me $200!
It makes a little over 600 h.p., but I might add a little juice to it later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts