Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really sure if this is the right place, but seemed good.

I have spent the last month working in Ventura and overall it has been great. The weather is awesome compared to the cold Colorado winters. I may have an opportunity to transfer permanently.

What I would like to know is how is life in this area? It is kind of hard to get a real feel when you are living out of a hotel. How are the income taxes? Are there any crazy licensing or smog tests required on vehicles? Housing seems to be slightly more then what I pay in CO, but I think that is to be expected.

Any and all thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Not really sure if this is the right place, but seemed good.

I have spent the last month working in Ventura and overall it has been great. The weather is awesome compared to the cold Colorado winters. I may have an opportunity to transfer permanently.

What I would like to know is how is life in this area? It is kind of hard to get a real feel when you are living out of a hotel. How are the income taxes? Are there any crazy licensing or smog tests required on vehicles? Housing seems to be slightly more then what I pay in CO, but I think that is to be expected.

Any and all thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
You need to contact JIMR38 he lives in Ventura County!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Ventura is one GREAT place to live, IMO. There are a few members here that have lived in the area most of their lives, ZNova to name but one! They will tell you. I love it there, we camp there, and often go just up for the day. Like this Saturday! If you have the chance, I really think you would not be making a bad decision, but I think it may be better for you to get out a bit more, and explore. The Harbor, the foothills, farmers markets, etc.. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
x2 ^^^ on what Dales said above. I live about 30 miles south of there in Santa Clarita CA. I hope to retire in the Ventura area. Everything Dale said is true. The weather is nice, lots of things to do. My wife and I go there for the day several times a year. Ventura Harbor, Channel Islands Harbor, Oxnard Beach, all fun places.
Ron

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I'm close as well and will support what has been said. Great town although because of it's proximity to the coast a tad expensive. Just south is Oxnard with some nice areas as well as some not so nice but also has that beach living feel. I think you will find housing expensive in Ventura but still a great town with that old beach town feel to it.

Regarding smog rules Calif is a pain in the a.. Good news is early year cars don't have to go through it but your newer cars will . Seems i am always having to get something smog checked at about $60. bucks a car assuming nothing is wrong.
I pay about $100. bucks each for my 65 Ford and my 72 Chevy per year to license them.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
X2 on the above comments. I have been in Ventura for 11 years now and it is by far the best of all the places I have lived. I got sticker shock when I first saw the housing costs, but if you can manage that, it is a great place to live. Almost every weekend Cindy and I hop in the car and in 10 minutes are walking the dogs at the beach, and often have it all to ourselves. My commute to work is a nice 20 minute drive along the coast, just over an hour when I cycle (once or twice a week). No smog test or inspections for my 67 and registration is just under $100. An added bonus: a local speed shop just opened in town and they will order anything you can find in the Summit catalog, match their price without any shipping cost. :yes::D Also there are lots of local shows/cruises with big turnouts. Now if only there were a 1/4 mile track closer than 135 mi. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
According to salary.com the cost of living in Ventura is 18.6% more than Denver and pay is only 6% more.

California is the most regulated state so things will initially drive you crazy. For instance, when you buy a video monitor or TV you have to pay $16 recycle fee you never get back. Each bottle (plastic and glass) and can has a 5 cent Cash redemption value (crv) tax, but if you take it to the recycle place you only get back however much that place pays per pound and not your 5 cents each. Gas is about 60 cents more than any other state due to some additives. Food is more expensive. Getting rid of crap like old TVs and electronics is a pain and you usually have to pay to recycle it. You have to pay $50 every 2 years to register dirt bikes...even a 50cc. We are required to sort our trash and seperate recycle stuff.

They just legalized weed in your state, why move now?? :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. I should know by the end of next week whether it is going to go through. I like the thought of having several other nova owners in the area. The weather is awful hard to pass up.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
VENTURA IS AN OUTSTANDING TOWN, KINDA PRICEY PROPERTY WISE, BUT HEY IT'S CALIFORNIA ON THE COAST! BUT I LOVE THAT AREA! WISH I COULD AFFORD IT! :eek:
LIKE DALE SAID, GET OUT AND CHECK OTHER SURROUNDING AREAS, YA JUS' MIGHT FIND YOURSELF HERE PERMANENTLY!
:cool:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have lived in Ventura from 85 to present. Ventura is ok. They have a " no growth " plan here. Trying to put in any kind of manufacturing or large scale Business is difficult. Unless its a restaurant ! As far as housing if you want to live here now is a great time to buy ! My home here at one time was appraised at 760k and now comes in at less than 400 k my retirement has blown up right up before my eyes! I hope to leave this state in search of lakefront property as I don't want to have to work till I'm 90. The way this state is run will drive you insane ! They have billion dollar shortfalls in the state budget EVERY year. But cannot get the spending under control. Then on the political front the same politicians are elected over and over yet we expect diff results. That's the deff of insanity ! And we pay one of the highest prices for fuel that's just a calif thing tho. I like Santa Barbara better. But housing up there is really high! Are you working for hot line or live wire?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
In all fairness. Tho. The weather in Ventura is about as good as it gets. Don't get a lot of real hot weather or cold weather. A hot day for us is 85 and a cold day is 50. If ya want heat or snow they are both close by.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Chilly, keep us posted. :yes: Sounds like we need to have another PCH north cruise and welcome you in style.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally made it back to Colorado. I am about 95% sure we will be making the move to CA. Just waiting on the final offer letter. Unfortunately it sounds like I may spend a better part of the year overseas and down in the gulf coast for training, but I guess the positive side is more money for the nova.

I look forward to meeting fellow members. I drove up to Sacramento to see family and had the pleasure of meeting plumrat. Even picked up some parts for the car.

I will get some pictures of the car up in the next few days. (After the wife settles down.) :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Moving to Ventura

I got my offer and it looks like we are packing up and heading to Cali. I look forward to meeting some fellow Nova owners.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I got my offer and it looks like we are packing up and heading to Cali. I look forward to meeting some fellow Nova owners.
Don't forget to register all your cars in the state of Cali within 20 days of beginning work here or there is a steep penalty when you finally do. Same thing with getting a Cali drivers license. Don't wait around until your Colorado ones expire. :no: Which means you will have to get them smog checked too. Just part of the joy of living here.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Good news, you will like it here!:yes: Keep us posted on your moving plans and let me know if you need any help/advice once you get here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts