Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a guy is offering his engine in trade for my chopper project. he sent me this:

"It's a 350, .030 over, one cylinder is sleeved but only do to excessive rust in that cylinder. It was never cracked or anything. It's got hypereutectic speed pro flat top pistons and rods, machined crank. Block was decked a bit and put facotry style reworked heads. The valves are stainless Manley valves (2.05 intake, 1.60 exhaust.) Full comp cam valvetrain. Comp roller rockers(1.6 ratio), springs, titanium retainers, and hydraulic cam with high Rev lifters. I have the cam card somewhere. I can't remember the duration off the top of my head, but its healthy haha. The lift is about .523/.528. Accel hei distributor and an edelbrock intake (have an air gap somewhere if preferred)."

in trade for my bike:

i was asking 2000 for the bike (full custom frame/exhaust etc), or trade.

the other option is just selling it and starting fresh with the GM vortec crate from JEGs. opinions?:grouphug:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is that an old XS 650? I probably wouldn't trade the guy. Sell the bike and get a crate, I think you'd be money ahead in the long run.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a 74 xs 650, one off frame, mix matched parts from different year yamaha's. i did the air brushing on the tank/fender.

he's willing to part with a complete engine!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The motor worth about $800-1200, and its a gamble.Why doesn't he use it? Your Yam is worth what you can get (bunch of unknowns).Sell it and get a crate motor.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sell the bike and get a different engine. There's something fishy about a small block that's been sleeved. The only reasons you'd ever sleeve a small block normally is if it's a numbers-matching block to a high-dollar restoration or if it's an aluminum block. Chevrolet made a jillion 350's, so if you have one with a bad block, you just throw away the block and get another one. So, what else questionable did he do to the engine?

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Sell the bike and get a different engine. There's something fishy about a small block that's been sleeved. The only reasons you'd ever sleeve a small block normally is if it's a numbers-matching block to a high-dollar restoration or if it's an aluminum block. Chevrolet made a jillion 350's, so if you have one with a bad block, you just throw away the block and get another one. So, what else questionable did he do to the engine?
Yup, use the money from the sale of the bike to build an engine or buy a GM crate engine.

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Sleeving is over boring the cylinder far enough to insert a new metal cylinder sleeve to repair a damaged cylinder. 350 blocks are too easy to come by to mess with doing that. If it is not done right it can be a real problem.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I agree. Sell the bike, get something else. Wolf are you looking on craig's? I saw a couple decent engines in our area. If you're gonna fork out 1500 though might as well be new ( crate). And start with a fresh slate. Jmo

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts