Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys?

A few days ago I posted about a breather filter on my Nova. Well, that got me thinking about possibly setting up up a proper PCV system on the car. Here are some photos of my current set up.

Here's the front view. You get a basic look at everything.

Here is the driver side. You can see the breather filter I put on. Originally, there was just a hose coming out of the valve cover that was from the original TBI setup on the engine. The previous owner just unplugged it from the intake and swung it outward releasing into the atmosphere.

Here's the passenger side. What you currently see in the valve cover is actually a PCV valve (obviously releasing into the atmosphere). If you look at the carburetor, you can see a green cap. This is the only available vacuum plug in on the intake.

What do you guys think would be a good set up for me? Also, I've usually seen Chevy engines with the PCV valve on the driver side. Does it really make a difference where it is? Thanks for any input guys!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Doesn't matter where the PCV valve is. I've seen some that or on the intake manifolds, but first I would replace that old PCV valve, go buy a new one and then just hook it up like sevenzero said. Make sure you buy a PCV valve hose and not fuel hose too.

There was probably a closed system before if you say on the other side was connected to the airfilter.

A open system is what your going to run, open breather, and pcv to valve cover.

When you say releasing to atmosphere. I say not working.:yes:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I bought a new PVC valve and a section of hose. Car runs still runs fine haha :D So with an open PCV system, the breather breaths fresh air in. Then the vacuum on the intake sucks the crankcase gasses out through the PCV/hose and burns them in the combustion process, correct?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
So, I bought a new PVC valve and a section of hose. Car runs still runs fine haha :D So with an open PCV system, the breather breaths fresh air in. Then the vacuum on the intake sucks the crankcase gasses out through the PCV/hose and burns them in the combustion process, correct?
Of course the engine still runs fine its a chevy! And Yes.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
As stated above use a closed system where the breather goes to the bottom of the air cleaner assembly. It works much better and is how they do it on modern cars...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts