Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since ive added my brodix alm, heads and victor jr manifold ive notice a real lack of bottom end, i really didnt think this intake would make a big difference..

i was told to switch to a single plane to help out my cam (244/244 501 lift)
i used to have a wieand dual plane before and it had alot of guts on the bottom end

so......since i just ordered my new pro series carb i was thinking about switching to the air gap intake that ive heard rave reviews about..its just a street drivin car with 3:55's. what do you think

i have a 650 vs speed demon on it now, should i just wait until the new carb comes in and see how it does??

thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive been kicking that around also, but i will be building a stroker motor soon, so i was thinking an intake for now would be easiest

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Its a little more fun having that bottom end grunt then having your foot to the floor all the time.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Why not just deal with your soggy bottom until you build the stroker motor. Money now will take from your later project.

Kev

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Well Kev is right...save the bucks for the stroker motor....BUT if ya just have to fix what you have I would do as Mike said and get a different cam...the duration your running is prettty long...get something with less then 230 degrees of duration @.050 and if you still have the weiand duel plane intake laying around install that.....I think summit should have a fairly cheap cam that would have around the 225 degrres of duration or so....PLUS a cam with less duration than you are currently running would work better with your diff gearing too.....

BTW what kind of compression are you running? With that much duration I would think you would want a TRUE cr of at least 10.5:1...if you are truely running that much compression that could be a problem with a cam with less duration.....but I suspect however you have less than that which would also be part of the mushy low rpms you are experencing....Just my 2 cents...:)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
strtlegal said:
since ive added my brodix alm, heads and victor jr manifold ive notice a real lack of bottom end, i really didnt think this intake would make a big difference..

i was told to switch to a single plane to help out my cam (244/244 501 lift)
i used to have a wieand dual plane before and it had alot of guts on the bottom end

so......since i just ordered my new pro series carb i was thinking about switching to the air gap intake that ive heard rave reviews about..its just a street drivin car with 3:55's. what do you think

i have a 650 vs speed demon on it now, should i just wait until the new carb comes in and see how it does??

thanks again
I bet that's The Comp 292 Magnum cam. Same specs. 244/[email protected] 501 lift. I had it in a small block with a Victor Jr. and 4:88's. Car ripped. You need at leat a 3000 stall.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a true 10:1 i have a hughes 3000 stall in it now..i just switched from a spooled 4:10 to a 3:55's..i wanted to get a few more miles out if this before i biuld another

i talekd to patrick james at pro carbs and he said he loves this combo, he mentioned setting my initial at 22 and my total to be 34-36..he said with his carb and that timing it will help out with my bottom end

he told me just to try his carb first then if im really not happy ill start changing somethings around

as posted above if i do get a smaller cam ill stay more towards a 230 duration cam..whatever it takes money is no big deal its just learning experience..dont learn anything by just reading have to f-up once and awhile..lol

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you are considering an RPM Air Gap intake now it would also work well with a stroker motor later, so I don't think it would be a waste to try a great dual plane intake now. It's not likely you will be able to use the same cam if you build a stroker motor, but the intake would probably work well for both. For what it's worth, my 383 stroker just dynoed at 476hp/478tq with a ProSystems carb from Patrick James and an Air Gap intake.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
JTW said:
For what it's worth, my 383 stroker just dynoed at 476hp/478tq with a ProSystems carb from Patrick James and an Air Gap intake.
That's good to know :) However, your heads are much better than mine and your running a roller cam (I think anyhow).

·
Registered
710 Posts
DriveWFO said:
...and your running a roller cam (I think anyhow).
Yeah, it's a Comp hyd. roller cam (XR282HR).

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
strtlegal said:
setting my initial at 22 and my total to be 34-36..he said with his carb and that timing it will help out with my bottom end
Are you running a vacuum advance dist? If so that is a ton of intial timing...just wondering is all?:)

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nope, it is a crap load..i actually ive never been past 15..lol..but my buddy says we can do it as so did patrick james..i have an msd pro billet and it has the biggest gears on there..my buddy says on his race car its fully locked out, along time ago this made it a pain to start but i guess with to days starters its nop big deal..im just learning about tuning and timing and how it affects the car. so for now im taking his and patrick james word for it..

if his carb doesnt change the way the car feels ill just go and buy a new cam and an intake.

a buddy of mine along time ago put that 292 comp in his camaro, i was just going to order the 280H, but he said the 292 would be fun..im just figuring out how much a cam makes a difference on an engine..

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
well without vacuum advance on the dist then 21 intial isnt too bad and puts you about where you would be at idle IF you had vacuum advance hooked up....so that is good to go....good luck:)

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
makes sense..yeah putting at 22 initial then having it hooked up to a vaccuum advance would be a bad thing..lol

thanks again for your guys help

ill know soon, what the result is

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
21 is fine with no VA. I'd get something like the XE262 or something. If it's just a low compression street motor, no need to go too big on the cam. Your old dual plane would be okay, but the RPM Airgap is def the best all around intake available on the market.

Kev

1 - 19 of 19 Posts