Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems most people are running auto's these days, but I plan on running a 4 speed in my Nova. Anyone have any experience with good (or bad) clutch set-ups. I expect to have around 700 hp (motor) and another 250 hp or so with the juice. I'd rather stay with a single disc system and I'm kind of leaning towards a 10.5 McLeod scintered iron disk with long adjustable pressure plate. I'd love to hear any suggestions.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
I have a 11" RAM 6 pad metalic sprung hub disk in my car with the 3 finger 3200 lbs presure plate. My seems to work fine; you will probably need a really high dollar clutch with that much power. If the cars very heavy or isn't running a lower gear you will probably have problems with it. My car went 11.42 @ 122 with a 454, M-22 and 4.56 gears at the time it weighed 3200lbs. That put the final drive almost at the 10.00 final drive in first; jsut about perfect from what I understand.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clutch

Thanks for the info. The car should weigh around 2400 lbs max, so it is light. The gears are 450. The Mcleod is a little pricey with a similar Hays set-up about 1/2 the price.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
The Mcleod 10.5" single disk iron clutch will work great. I'm running one in my '65. It has over 150 passes on it launching at 6800 rpms, and full throttle shifts at 7000, and not even half way worn. I'm using the high coeffiecent of friction disk, and between 950#-1150# on the pressure plate. Call George at tech support there and he will get you set up. Be sure to get a good dog ring type transmission.
Bill

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clutch

Thanks Bill. Thats sort of what I've been looking at. The transmission is a face shifted Doug Nash. Are the Hays iron clutches close to the Mcleod in strength?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I had a centerforce mated to my street dougnash in my 69 camaro and it worked great.camaro has a 500-550 HP LS-6 BB,Had trans out and sold set up to my buddy.I now have a puck clutch mated to my clutchless dougnash 5 speed and it works great as well.If you need parts or a rebuild i know a guy in carlisle who keeps the old dougnashes going.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
AZNova said:
Are the Hays iron clutches close to the Mcleod in strength?
You will need to talk to the manufacturers about that. You also may want to try Crower, and Titan Speed. Mcleod works well for me as they are fairly close by. The last time I had a clutch rebuilt by them it was only a 2 day turn around, even with UPS delivery. I would stick to the adjustable iron setups, as they absorb alot of driveline shock when adjusted properly, plus sintered iron retains the same coefficient of friction even when overheated. It is the material of choice for clutches from Super Stock to Top Fuel. Good Luck.
Bill

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you are looking for a race clutch, call Rob at Advanced Clutches. A lot of Stock and Super Stock racers use and swear by them. I have used on in my Nova for 4 years and it works flawless. Plus he will work with you on all adjustmensts and set us. http://www.advancedclutches.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts