Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tinkering this morning and noticed that there is a valve sitting open behind my carb. I have a 1406 ed and intake. I don't see anything as to where this should go to unless it goes to the left opening valve on the Carb on the front.

Any Thoughts?

·
14,585 Posts
That's a vacuum port. I have my transmission line hooked to that port. It should be plugged off if you don't have an auto trans or something else that needs vacuum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Metal line behind it goes to the break booster on the back of the carb and the black hose coming out of it on mine goes to the tranny. The car is much quieter when I cap it off. I just hope I'm not choking something off when capping it.

·
14,585 Posts
You won't choke anything off except a vacuum leak. Put a cap on it. It will affect the way your engine runs etc with that port being open.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys. I bought some caps yesterday and capped it off. Runs quieter. I do not really notice a change in power. It is a little more difficult to start but it will start I might just need to rely on the manual Choke more now. I tuned the Carb.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
you don't need to touch the carb but a timing adjustment for sure... the vacuum leak affects the timing.

double check the timing settings... ;) :yes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point Neo I had to double check that. it looks like on my they are just extra fittings for another intake manifold mine only has the four bolts.

I got that capped off but now I have a new issue. My oil pressure sending unit is leaking so I went a bought a new one. I torqued it down real good and it is still leaking... I used teflon tape on the threads. Am I missing something? Any tips?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Vacuums

i have found in the past that every 6 month's i had to check the rubber vacuum lines on my truck (1979 chevy c 10 ) . due to heat stress they all would crack in 6 months and i also noticed the same thing on the nova

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had to double check, lol. I can see it looks like a dual pattern carb.

I hate rubber hoses for the dry rot problems, also hate rubber body bushings. Why I'm a firm supporter of quality silicone hoses. They don't dry rot or get bothered by heat.

I only run black, no need to make the ricers jealous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts