Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So everything is working fine on the drivers side. (turn signal, brake and tail) The passenger side all works except my brake light. It is a purple wire that controls the blinker and brake light for this side. I do have a problem with my turn signal switch up at the steering column. I have to play with it and jiggle it a few times to make the passenger side blinker work. Could this be related to the brake light not working?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[QUOTE
you might wish to trace it back to ensure there are no wire breaks...[/QUOTE]

but if I'm getting juice through the wire for the turn signal to work, then the wire can't be broken, right?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Sounds like the contact for the brake light inside the turn signal switch is bad. There is a contact that breaks connection when the turn signal is activated that allows the bulb to blink when the brakes are applied and if you have to jiggle the lever to get the signal light to work I would say you definately have a bad turn signal switch.

I had a 62 Impala with the same type turn signal switch as you have that did the exact same thing and I had to replace the switch to fix it but that was just my experience, it may not be your problem.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
intermittent? could be a break or a faulty connection... i'd trace it back before buying/replacing the TS switch is all i'm saying. ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sounds like the contact for the brake light inside the turn signal switch is bad. There is a contact that breaks connection when the turn signal is activated that allows the bulb to blink when the brakes are applied and if you have to jiggle the lever to get the signal light to work I would say you definately have a bad turn signal switch.

I had a 62 Impala with the same type turn signal switch as you have that did the exact same thing and I had to replace the switch to fix it but that was just my experience, it may not be your problem.
:yes: Agree with wskaiser. Had the same problem. Replaced the turn signal switch and have all working lights now, blinkers etc.. Same deal I had - one brake light not working. You already mentioned you have problems with the turn signal switch. This is your problem unless you have messed with the wiring. Doubt you have.

Seems like a big job to put a new turn signal switch in but really isn't that bad. Took me about 2 hours on my 66. Take the time and just replace it. wskaiser is right and very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

just went and picked up the switch. I'll throw it in when I get a chance and report back on if it fixed it or not. Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hopefully you will be able to fix 2 problems with one fix now. Will help the turn signal problem also. Hope the best and look forward to your report.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was in fact the turn signal switch causing my one brake light issue. $23 and 15 minutes later...problem solved! Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great News - Problem Solved - Good To Hear. With my 66 I had to pull the wheel drop the column slightly and run the new wiring through the column so it took a little longer. Anyhow your good to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts