Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One wire alt hook up

Hook the one red hot at the alt to the hot pole on the new alt.
if you want to monitor the charging system. All you need to install in the car is a volt gauge. Just hook the gauge to any switch accessory at the fuse box. Most one wire conversion alternators will come with a rubber plug. they will also have a low RPM internal diode to excite the alt at a lower RPM.

You can hook up the original wiring, making use of the factory alt light. You must disconnect the regulator and follow these instructions.
Disconnect your battery before you start this!

What is needed
1 internal voltage regulator pigtail.
Most parts store will have this. A repair pigtail for 1971 to 1984 GM vehicles.
It will come with White/red or Black/Red wires.
example. Note: terminal 1 & terminal 2

On the vehicle
Cutting the terminal off the factory pigtail at the alt. White & blue wire.
pictured below

The repair plug purchased from local parts store
Splice the (white or black)from pigtail to the white wire from factory harness.
Splice the red wire from pigtail to the blue wire from the factory harness

Note: You have the option to hook the red wire from the pigtail to the the hot lead on the back of the alt. eliminating the use the blue wire.

Install the plug into alt. And also connecting the hot lead wire to the hot terminal on the alt. (Your done at the alt.)

Now at the voltage regulator.

You have 4 wires with position 1-4
#1 Blue
#2 White
#3 Orange
#4 brown

Cut And splice the white and brown wire together. Position #4 & #2

Cut and connect #1 & #3 and connect them to the positive terminal on the Horn relay.

(note if you hooked the red wire at alternator to the back of the alt. not using the blue wire. Then all you do is connect the orange #3 to the positive of the horn relay.) Not using the blue wire at all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Now days I believe the way 1 wire alternators are listed they will not include the 3 wire hookup as pictured above. I called and checked on this and 1 wire alternators do not come with the pop out access to gain access to the 2 other wire hookups. Maybe they use to or maybe it's just who I am buying from. Anyhow I purchased the 3 wire just to be sure. I think with the 3 wire if I had a problem I might be able to get a replacement alternator easier from a parts store if needed and just slap it on. Anyhow looking forward to getting it and see how it works.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Again what a great thread. Got my new chrome 3 wire today. Converted from external regulator to internal. Went great and all seems to be well. Good to see quality posts such as this. Thank you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i hooked up a new internal regulated alternator according to this and seems to be working but the "gen" light stays on when i shut off the car. it goes off when i start the car. any suggestions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts