Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to upgrade my factory 62 chevyII rear end to a posi unit, was just wondering if its best to change the entire rearend or will just the differential be ok. dont plan to have ton of horsepower.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i want to upgrade my factory 62 chevyII rear end to a posi unit, was just wondering if its best to change the entire rearend or will just the differential be ok. dont plan to have ton of horsepower.
How much horsepower now? Type of trans? Front & rear suspension modifications? what rearend now? A lot depends on how deep your pocket book is. But, posi not only helps with straight line fun, helps hitting the curves too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
'55-'64 full size Chevy posi center sections bolt right into your 62 housing. The posi units are stronger than the open rear spider gears so you'll gain strength. The 4 lug axles are stronger than they look.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The above girdle is not for your front load type rear end originally used in 62 & 63 Novas. It will work to help strengthen 64 and newer, 5 lug axle, rear ends.

Reactions: Stroker Ace Ventura

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well, I'll just reply that I ran mid 12s for a year, back in the 70s, with a 4-speed and cheater slicks with a 4-lug rear. I had a 4.56 posi center section and only broke the spiders at the last race of the season, never hurt an axle. I put in a 12 bolt with 4.88s for the following year and broke TWO left side axles before stepping up to aftermarket axles. If the original poster is running an automatic, I don't think they will have a problem with the 4-lug with a posi installed. Only problem with the 4-lug, now, is the scarcity of brake system parts and axle bearings.

Reactions: Stroker Ace Ventura

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
If my 64 nova ss isnt a posi can it be converted to one ? and how can I check to see if it is a posi
I'm pretty sure they make a posi unit for most all Chevy rears... although it may be more expensive than others. To see if you have posi, jack up the back of your car with both wheels off the ground and spin one wheel. If they both spin in the same direction, posi. If opposite, it's an open rear end and does not have posi. Simplistic explanation... sorry for the non-technical rhetoric :p

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
I've seen some Honda Civics and Toyota Celicas (I had one back in the 80's pushing over 400 wheel...) blasting well over 800 hp to the tire with only 4-lug axles... Mind you these Hondas and Toyotas are not solid axles either, they are 3-piece with CV joints too... While a 5-bolt is definitely stronger, the 4-bolt served many a high HP car for years without too much ado. I agree though, if and while you're in there, no reason not to step up to a good strong axle with 5-lug capabilities and maybe even a higher spline count to boot... Better wheel choices as well... Just a thought.

·
1963 wagon
4,595 Posts
1) So the 62/63 drop out can use the 55-63 full size car posi unit. You will need to run LM102910 & LM102949 conversion carrier bearings and races.

2) The 1964 10 bolt can be converted to posi unsing a 65-71 8.2 chevy 10 bolt posi unit. You will also need to buy 65-67 nova axles as 1964 used a different angle cut on the axle splines.

Miles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts