Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I was looking over my car tonight and I actually just noticed this (right side)...

Ok and this one has shims (left side)...

hmmm...?

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Are you asking what the shims do or why one side has more? The shims are used to aligh the front end and several things can make one side need more than the other. Worm bushings, bent parts, a wreck tweaked the frame mounts, frame slightly bent or just off from the factory, ball joints, bent spindle and stuff like that can do it. RM

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I was thinking, thats why I was looking to see if it had been wrecked but other than those shims I cant see anything else. Everything else looks normal. So those shims can actually come from the factory?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, guess I was getting a little too paranoid. Just wanted to make sure though.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
When I had the front end on my car aligned. It needed an offset contol arm because you couldn't get enough shims in on the passenger side. After years of driving the sub frame will give a little.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
My brother had the same problem with my old Nova. I figured it was because I had notched the crossmember for the racing style oil pan I use on that car and it has been around since 1987 when I first built it. It has been good since he redid the arms though. I have also added a front and mid motor plate to it so that will hopefully keep the problem from getting any worse. RM

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Before I ownedmy car is was a drag car for around 10 years. I never saw it race; the people did said it was one of the cars that lifted a couple feet in the air and crashed down almost very pass. I suspect that has as much as anything to do with my bent sub-frame.

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
That's why, when you take them apart, you bag the shims, label the bag and note where they came. If you want the same alignment, that is. Otherwise, you start from scratch.;)

Dan (bag 'em Danno!)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'm wondering if you unbolt your front subframe and then bolt it back up, would this change the shims around? A 32nd two feet back could make a significant difference by the time you get to the A-arms.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You got dat right! Thats why its so important to re-align the frame to the chassis after frame removal. The shims are simply for caster and camber adjustments, but if you mis-align the frame, youre not gonna fix it with those shims.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts