Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One the starter gets heat soaked, is it done? Do I need to replace it? I ask because mine starts up fine on a cold start but of course after i run the engine a bit and turn it off and try to restart it makes a nasty metal clanging sound. The next morning, starts up easily again. I don't have the headers wrapped or any heat shield. Just trying to figure out if I need to replace the starter again before wrapping the headers and putting on a heat shield putting in a ford solenoid etc. I don't want to waste my time doing those mods and then have to replace the starter at the end cause the heat messed it up. I'd rather just get it all in one shot while the car is in the air. :D

Thanks
Daniel

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
If it's heat soak, the starter just needs to cool down...not be replaced. The clanging sound could be the starter bendix (gear) not engaging the flywheel cleanly. It's possible that it's not shimmed correctly, and it works (but just barely) when everything is cool, but things expand and move a little when they heat up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
you should find where the flywheel and started are suppose to engage at and if the flywheel is the problem one (probably chipped from starter hitting it )
a temp fix is to rotate the flywheel so it will engage at a different spot

if its the starter just replace it :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should add that I replaced the starter a month ago and its a DD. Just started doing this thing again with the month old starter.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
I should add that I replaced the starter a month ago and its a DD. Just started doing this thing again with the month old starter.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
first!

check that you torqued those bolts ive seen many mystery problems from just loose bolts even wen they seemed okay

then
start simple: check battery check the terminals arent corroded, can you turn te engine by hand?

everything okay move on to

test to see if have 12 volts ,good ground

no electrical problem you need to find the bad wire

yes take the starter out and bench test it

if its having problems engaging
id suspect the spring in it maybe (had problem similar to a starter i rebuilt a while back)

no pass (replace or rebuild starter)

pass check distance u possibly might need some shims also look at the flywheel is it damaged anywhere specifically at all

everything passes ummmm http://www.novaresource.org/starter.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts