Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, is been a while since Ive been on the form.. but i hauled the car out of the shed and did another re-build of the engine...

so i rebuilt the engine again, only things i didn't replace were cam bearings and oil pump. before the re-build, with screwed over main/rod bearings i have about 30lbs oil pressure at idle, and 55 at higher revs (3000) when warm..

now since the new re-build, the car starts up and has great oil pressure, 30 at idle again until it warms up. once warm, it has 25lbs at idle and slowly goes to nothing after about 2 minutes. i am also running 15w 40 oil, w/ fram filter. same as before.

any of you guys have an idea whats wrong with the pressure. ive checked it at the block with another gauge and it is still the same. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Was your crank turned or just polished? What are your bearing clearances set at? Did you check your oil pump internal clearances?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crank was okay so it was just polished, and bearing clearance was about 4-5 thou. was about 8 with the screwed bearings.. (right through the copper) and i diddnt check the oil pump clearance, because it was working good before...

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
that oil pressure is normal for a Olds engine.

And why that cheep Fram filter? All you have to do is cut one open. Then you will understand!

Al

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i know lol, they had to order me in a wix filter... takes a few days i gess..

and im just worried about it going to zero after a while.. :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts