Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"OK" I know it isn't a Small Block Chevy but, is the Olds 260 V8 a reliable engine for every day type use?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's "OK" as I'll be installing a crate 350 in time. Found a 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass with the 260 / auto for $700.00 and thought it might make a neat sleeper! Drive it until the 260 dies and install the 350 /350.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Those motors are great motors, for V8 torque and fuel mileage, low on pony power, but for the fuel mileage gain, I'm good with it.
Had a friend that had one in a nova wagon that got almost 30 MPGs on steady basis.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
260 Olds

Those motors are great motors, for V8 torque and fuel mileage, low on pony power, but for the fuel mileage gain, I'm good with it.
Had one in a '78 Cutlass,28mpg.Had a Dual Jet 2bbl carb/200 metric trans

·
Registered
810 Posts
Had one in a 80 delta 88 was slooooooowwwwwwwww swapped on a Q-jet intake and it had a bit better passing power,swapped on true duals with some small tube headers and she wasent all that bad! They could pull down high 20s-30s if you drove em right. I think they made about 110 or so net hp probly around 160 or so gross hp.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i had an 80 cutlass years ago that i bought for 500 bucks. That motor was in it with 200k miles. still started and ran till i pulled it and junked it. dropped in a mild 305 i had built and didnt look back.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
for $700 i think a good Chevy engine/trans combo could be had from a pick & pull...

it'd be less work bolting it in, exhaust work...

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
That's "OK" as I'll be installing a crate 350 in time. Found a 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass with the 260 / auto for $700.00 and thought it might make a neat sleeper! Drive it until the 260 dies and install the 350 /350.
I like the idea of great MPG, but sleeper does not come to mind.

I say, go for it.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Sleeper" as in very s..l..o..w. :D
Lost out, guy sold it before I could get over to look at it!
Oh, well.

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
"Sleeper" as in very s..l..o..w. :D
Lost out, guy sold it before I could get over to look at it!
Oh, well.
I think my friend has one; could check it out if interested. However, distance to Jacksonville, AR may be too much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts