oldelpasso - 1972 Nova Father Son Project
Engine: 383 Stroker (Built by Burbank Speed & Machine)
Body/Exterior: DSE Mini-tubs
Paint: Palladium Silver by South County Auto Body
Suspension: Ride Tech 4 link, 2" Drop spindles, Lower Strongarms, SC&C Street-Comp Stage 2 Uppers
Transmission: Legends LGT-700 5 Speed
Rear End: Stock 10 Bolt 3.73 w/Posi
Exhaust: Custom Built Stainless
Wheels/Tires: Budnik Pivot 18x8 Front / 18x10 Rear
Interior: Recaro Bucket Seats
Electrical: American Auto Wire
Accessories/Options: Vintage Air, Power Windows & Locks
Sound system: Tunes by RetroSound and Rockford Fosgate
Welcome to my build guys! I've been a member of SNS for a while now, quietly perusing the forums, enjoying seeing everyone's work and craftsmanship, and doing a whole lot of admiring. I would first like to say thanks to everyone here that has helped me with my build. There is so much information here, and so many guys and gals willing to help I feel really lucky to be a part of the SNS family. I thought it was finally time to share some of the progress I've made on my car, and if nothing else maybe provide some motivation to some of the other Father Son teams that are ready to get started on their projects.
So, a little background - my Nova was handed down to me from my Dad. He bought it used in 73, and it was his daily driver for about 10 years. Some of my very best childhood memories were with my Dad and that car. We've talked about restoring it since I was 5 years old (I'm 38 now). The Nova really is a member of our family.
My Dad garaged the car after some mechanical issues around 85-86, with 189,000 miles on the OD. It sat in the same spot for 25+ years.
About a year and half ago we were sitting around watching one of those car restoration shows, and I mentioned we should try to get the Nova running. The following weekend we put a tune up on it, and after all those years the car fired after the first turn of the key. My Dad had a smile from ear-to-ear. It was a really amazing moment. Right up until it started spewing water from the radiator, water pump, and freeze plugs. That killed any hopes of driving it that day, but it gave us just the motivation we needed to start our project. We looked at each other and my Dad said to me "Let's go, let's restore it".
We spent about a month taking the car apart, documenting and bagging all of the parts, and towed it down to San Diego for mini-tubbing and some other cool stuff. What follows is our build in progress. Hope you guys enjoy...