Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my slicks are almost three years old now, and this whole year i've been fighting rotten 60fts. the tires AREN'T SPINNING, it's just like i'm not leaving hard. can old slicks do this?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
If your tires aren't spinning then you are dead hooked, sounds like you are down on power or your trans is slipping.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tranny was built by a local race shop last spring, put a new converter in to see if that would help (went from a redneck to a hughes) with no change. mph is still where it was last year at 92mph, but the car went from 7.40's to 7.60's, and 60fts in the low 1.60's to high 1.70's. friday night my best 60ft was like a 1.71. here's a video link. i've been fighting fuel supply problems but that seems mostly fixed, still no improvement...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/nova-at-MAM_681745.htm

·
Registered
508 Posts
should have stayed with the redneck!:yes: if your tires have been stored right they will be fine. if your not spinning then it aint the tires. also like stated above if you are dead hooking you might have not been before. i know when i got my car to dead hook and rip the wheels off the ground i lost a tenth on my 60' and out the back but gained 3 MPH. try alittle more air in them to see what happens. you might need a rotation out to get that .1 back. is the converter the only thing that changed? and did you change what stall you were running? there are a few things to look for these are just a couple. hope this may help. Josh

·
Registered
508 Posts
it didnt sound like you brought the converter up at the line. are you just trying to flash it? is this how you did it before? i would try and bring it up on the conv. a little then flash it hard. that might help.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Once you get a set of slicks hot they will deteriorate pretty fast, within a year they will go away in my opinion and the manufacturers. Do yours pick up and hold rocks like they did when they worked? You can store them anyway you want and they will go away. The resions deteriorate and the tire gets hard. Ask the people who make them about it. Even new slicks that sit around in warehouses go away. That's why many racers will not buy slicks from big box parts houses. That is also why many people buy their tires from the truck at the track. I always want fresh tires and my supplier always gets me fresh stuff.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not trying to hijack. But I have a question. I know big john always said to "Flash" the converter. What exactly is Flashing? Is it not by letting it spin up then catch? Or raising it to the rpm then releasing? Because that's how I've always done it and reading / thinking about this guy's issue I was wanting to be sure which was which. Thanks.
And John always told me the same, if you're not spinning, it's not the tires, unless you're breaking down the track. HE always told me old tires will break (under decent power) down the track before they start breaking on the line. But that's the *redneck that taught me. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
HE always told me old tires will break (under decent power) down the track before they start breaking on the line. But that's the *redneck that taught me. :eek:

My experience is just the opposite. I have never lost traction past 60 ft, but can easily spin off the line (ET Street Radials). Yesterday I tried loading the converter to just 1500 rpm and spun big time. In fact if I leave at anything higher than 1000 rpm they break loose. My tires are also 3 years old with about 70 passes and 6000+ street miles, but last time out I ran my best 60 ft ever. Nevertheless, I am definitely due for new tires.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
my slicks are almost three years old now, and this whole year i've been fighting rotten 60fts. the tires AREN'T SPINNING, it's just like i'm not leaving hard. can old slicks do this?
What is the stall rate of the converter? I would try and bring the RPMs up significantly more than in that video, or up to the stall rate. What RPM was that launch at?

Three years is a long time for a set of slicks, but a better question is how are your tires stored when not in use? Are they on the car and is the car on the ground (concrete, dirt, etc.)? How much air pressure do you maintain in them when not in use? How controlled is the environment that they are stored (high humidity, low humidity, large temperature variances, etc.)?

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my best 60fts have always been flashing the converter. the new hughes is a 4000rpm and same diameter as the redneck i ran before (both converters had almost the same et, mph, and 60ft). tires were always stored off the car until a few weeks into the season. pressure at the track is usually set at 15psi after the first run so the tires are warm.

·
Registered
508 Posts
IMO 15 psi is to much. try 12. i have tires on my car right now that are three years old and im 60' in the low 1.30's with the wheels up. so just cause there old dont mean they wont work.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
doesn't sound like a tire issu. You said the 60ft was going away so you changed converters. That didn't effect it so what else is different?
Weather? wear on the trans? wear on the motor?
Sounds like a power or slippage issue.
Is the weather hotter than normal? We have had a terrible summer this year.
Hottest summer on record. Been 95 deg for like 3 straight weeks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
doesn't sound like a tire issu. You said the 60ft was going away so you changed converters. That didn't effect it so what else is different?
Weather? wear on the trans? wear on the motor?
Sounds like a power or slippage issue.
Is the weather hotter than normal? We have had a terrible summer this year.
Hottest summer on record. Been 95 deg for like 3 straight weeks.
95 for three weeks? and thats the hottest summer on record? dam i live in the wrong spot. its been 104-110 here for the past two weeks!:devil:

·
Registered
769 Posts
My experience is just the opposite. I have never lost traction past 60 ft, but can easily spin off the line (ET Street Radials). Yesterday I tried loading the converter to just 1500 rpm and spun big time. In fact if I leave at anything higher than 1000 rpm they break loose. My tires are also 3 years old with about 70 passes and 6000+ street miles, but last time out I ran my best 60 ft ever. Nevertheless, I am definitely due for new tires.
you say you dont have down track traction issues but there is some kind of issue. Your 1/8 is a 7.79 and 1/4 is 12.63. something is wrong on the other end. What kind of converter do you have ? maybe there is alot of % slip or the car runs out of gear ?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
you say you dont have down track traction issues but there is some kind of issue. Your 1/8 is a 7.79 and 1/4 is 12.63. something is wrong on the other end. What kind of converter do you have ? maybe there is alot of % slip or the car runs out of gear ?
I need to drop the 1/4 time, it was at a different track with different 1/8 times than the 7.79. With the 12.63 my 1/8th was 8.02, and everyone said they were running slower than usual that day. With the 7.79 I estimate my 1/4 time would be 12.27.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts