Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to do a set of 14" rally wheels but the center caps are rusty to crap. Can I get some other GM center caps for these wheels? Some of the tabs on the inside of the center caps are broken off. The mounting tangs on the rims themselves are rusty also. I think I can salvage the rims and tangs but the centers would be much harder.

I was bidding on a set of 4 center caps and lost by 50 cents on eBay. Sold for $10.50 I was bidding from my phone because there werent any bids, I figured I had it won! :confused:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Try to get a set of 73-76 ss caps. I've seen a bunch on ebay the past few months. They're different looking all together.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just keep the faith and watch. They show up on ebay quite often. I bought some there fairly cheap. In fact I might have some extras myself, but I wouldn't even know where to start looking for them.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
I wanted to do a set of 14" rally wheels but the center caps are rusty to crap. Can I get some other GM center caps for these wheels? Some of the tabs on the inside of the center caps are broken off. The mounting tangs on the rims themselves are rusty also. I think I can salvage the rims and tangs but the centers would be much harder.

That center cap is hard to find. I don't believe any other style will fit on it. I never see them, at least in good condition, at the various swap meets that I attend.

That style rim also came with small chrome inserts for the oval holes.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got all chrome inserts. Near mint condition. I don't know if other center caps will work thought

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
You could get a couple of 14x6 rally2's on craig'slist for $50 and use the center cap ring off of those to fix your 14x7's, looks like you can remove the rivits then weld or screw back on with button head bolts. Yuo could also try astro van rally caps since they hold on by the lugs, just paint them silver.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am using the same wheels on my build, i had a friend of mine give them to me, they came off a 76 camaro, teek them to another friend of mine had them bead blasted, primed in high build black then sprayed with black imron, they turned out really nice, they look good on the 4th gens and all for 120 bucks.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Try to get a set of 73-76 ss caps. I've seen a bunch on ebay the past few months. They're different looking all together.
Thanks ALL for the ideas. Do you guys think these would work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/73-87-Chevy-Truck-Rally-wheel-5-lug-center-caps-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem56341e2159QQitemZ370241577305QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I could grind the rivets off and remove those mounts and use the ebay center caps...if they fit. I will ask the seller to measure for me. The description says "They fit 73-87 old style 5 lug Rally wheels"

I found this pictuer in anotehr thread

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I forgot to tell you the truck/astro centers are 5" pattern the chevy rally's are 4.75", Try looking at using the centers that were on the steel 14" 80's monte ss and camaro wheels, they were black but you could paint them to match the wheel.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are they the same rally style or do I need to identify them first. How would I know what to look for? Basically look for 5x4-3/4 center caps?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Yes 5x4.75 and no they are a different style, 5 spoke, i think they are 14x6 or 7, same ones on 1985 monte ss. otherwise good luck, your best bet is to hunt for the one's you have or the 74' spirt of america nova type, to bad i sold my set of camaro rally 2's long ago for $50 and i had nice metal centers.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
there are two types of these center caps. the early ones were metal and the later ones were plastic. the later ones were either chrome of black. depends on what condition you want these in will tell you what you need to pay for them. if you want show condition expect over a hundred to two hundend or more, per 4 pcs. they can be found you will just have to spend some time and patience. hard though to find a set of 4 at one place. i found a set in the trunk of a corvette that were still in the box. pd around $128 for the set of 4.
if you want daily driver condition and depending on what condition you want, i have several, probably around 16 in my garage. some are rough and some are good for a driver with out too much pitting or de-chroming (if thats a word). if you want send me a pm and i will take a look.
if you know the p/n that cool and woudl make sure what you want is what if have. diff p/n's for the metal and plastic. i have only the plastic as extras. the metal ones are originals and in a box on the selfves and they are staying there. bad thing about the metal ones is what they weigh. if you spring tabs are a little weak it easy for the metal ones to come off over rumple strips. thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts