Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short.......got offered two bottles of N2O for free, one 5.75 lbs full the other a full 10 lbs. I weighed them against the marked empty bottle weight.

Both filled November 1997 and stored in a garage since. Any reason not to use them? Does nitrous go bad over time? One is a NOS brand bottle the other a Luxfor marked for N2O only..........the juice is free if it's safe to use.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Those bottles need to be tested first of all. Who knows how much condensation etc. might be in them...I would empty them, test them, & fill them again. It's nothing to fool around with safety wise. Having safe, tested bottles is worth a lot more than the cost of a few pounds of nitrous.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
As said, it doesn't go bad. The bottles are dated and to be legal they are suppose to be hydro tested every 5 yrs and recertified. I have several bottles I had recertified by a Scuba Dive shop, cost $30. each I think. I also have a couple brand new, never filled ,old stock bottles, a friend had on a shelf in his store I bought that are out of date but I use them. I know their history which is the point I guess. I've never heard about condensation inside myself but Mike has a point, you don't know anything about these bottles and if they are damaged when you warm them up to operating temperature they are going to see 800 to 1200 lbs of pressure. If there is a problem it could cause a real problem.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx guys

They were given to me to use the n2o up but not to keep the bottles.

Hey at $4.75/lb locally it would be nice to use it up. Guess I better pass though dont want to hurt anything I cannot afford to fix.........

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
You might look into getting a mother bottle & filling them yourself. Ours works out to something like $2.10/lb doing it ourselves. I've seen shops charge $5-$6 a pound which is robbery but people will pay it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts