Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day that I installed my directional tires on the wrong side of the front.
This afternoon I figured I'd better switch them around since I'll be heading to the Goodguys event in Columbus next Thursday.
To give you some more background, I installed the mini sub frame kit this past winter. It went in easily and the 1000 miles or so I've driven the car has been fantastic.
I remember the alignment guys had a bit of a problem getting the alignment right.
For more background, I also put on a new set of 17" wheels and tires from coy's. They fit perfectly in the wheel wells and it looks pretty bitchin.

So as I was switching tires from side to side I was stunned to see the inner tread of each tire was gone. Not just worn but down right BALD!
Clearly. the alignment was screwed up badly and now not only can't I drive the Nova to Columbus but I'm also out for a new set of tires and on the hunt for an alignment shop who knows what they are doing!!
I'm glad I have my '36 coupe in the garage to drive.

I'm in Ontario Canada so if any of you know a REALLY good alignment shop in this province, let me know!s

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Sorry to hear that..

Im just thinking here.. If they aligned the front to stock specs maybe thats too much static camber? Im just visualizing, I may have it all wrong. But say with a stock tire, that is much narrower than your new tires. If the camber is set for a narrow tire, that would place a lil more camber on the inner portion of your tire. Thats if it had any neg camber adjusted in.

See what Im saying is. If for example there was a call for .5* neg camber, thats gonna put your inside edge of the new tires "more" at an angle than it would a narrow tire. The lever deal.

For image purposes (exaggerated). Say you had a 15" wide tire on there, with .5* neg camber the inside edge of the tire is gonna see alot more loading than a 5" tire.

And Im not sure what they pulled off the computer for your car and camber numbers. What is it for a stock setup, your year? I dont imagine the camber was much at all, but I dont know.

But you are scrubbing the inside off due to an alignment issue. My dirty finger points to too much camber. And I dont know what suspension mods you might have, other than the clip. If its modified, too much camber gain will do the same thing... Interesting.. JR

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JR........come to think of it, the alignment shop removed my 17" wheel because the instrument that lock on the wheel wouldn't work with the lip of my rims. They installed 15" stock wheels to set the alignment. Based on what you say, could this be the problem?
I have no other front end mods other than the wheels, mini subframe and a sway bar.
I need to find an alignment shop that can give me the proper set up with the 17" wheels.
Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
If camber was off the tire would RIDE on the inside and wear the inside prematurely but with only 1000 mi. it sounds like a toe out problem where the tire is actually scuffing the rubber off or both????? The directional tires being on wrong is throwing my thinking off a bit. Some directional tires have the cords wrapped a certain way for performance handeling/streeing and this may/may not have been part of the problem.
With toe-out the car usually is darty left and right but again, the directional tires?????
Start from scratch with new tires and take it to a alignment shop with a 50ish year old guy who has been doing alignments for years and you will be all set.

Just had a thought......how about the camber being a bit too negative, toe'd out just a touch and the tires on wrong. A triple play of tire wear!!!!!

Jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. I'm off to price some new tires and track down an alignment shop locally.
The guy who did the original alignment has been doing it for years. I think he is well into his 70's, strong as an ox and sharp as a tack. I think the 17" rims might have thrown him off.
Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from the alignment shop. New tires installed BUT....
there isn't enough clearance in the front fenders to get the alignment done properly. Looks like I'll have to roll the fender lip in and make a small pie cut to open the fender up a bit more. Time is running out before I leave on Thursday..........

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Just got back from the alignment shop. New tires installed BUT....
there isn't enough clearance in the front fenders to get the alignment done properly. Looks like I'll have to roll the fender lip in and make a small pie cut to open the fender up a bit more. Time is running out before I leave on Thursday..........
If you shim the front bolt of your upper control arm you will increase caster without moving the wheel forward in the fenderwell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts