Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't to brag but rather to share some insight to those that fire up a new engine without finishing the install. What I mean is starting it up without accessories hooked up or otherwise just not ready to be started.

After half of the year has gone by I threw some bearings in my old 350 and finished up the installation tonight. When I say threw I mean cleaned everything thoroughly, mic'd everything and took my time assembling and double checking things. I reused the rings, cam and timing chain. The bore was in good condition and while the cam shows some wear it should hold up until the end of the racing season.

So tonight I turned the key and it started right up, no hiccups, backfires, leaks, or other issues.......so far! I'm no expert, but I have done this enough times to have a good idea what it takes to get it right. And I learned how to get it right by doing everything that is wrong.

My first engine I put together I had the cam out 180, tore it apart and put it back together wrong again. Second engine I did the same thing and bent a few pushrods in the process (you'd think I learned the first go around). Third I blew an oil line and sprayed oil all over the garage. Another dumb thing I did was take the car up the street with only hoses holding the radiator in - the radiator didn't like meeting the fan but I was in a hurry to get it running.....

So the moral of the story.....take your time, check everything three times, and don't cut anything short just to hear it run....don't get discouraged and learn from your mistakes.....most of us have probably been down that road.

Weather permitting I should be back to the track this coming weekend.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i was helping a friend get his 454 into his 70 monte. we almost had everything done and he was in a hurry to drive the beast so he took off down the street and back up towards the shop. there is a culdasac at the end of the street he went side ways the opposite way around and threw his un secure battery into the uncovered fan and what a sound to hear. slow down but thats how we learn.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I have put several engine together also over the years. My first times were wrench throwing tantrums that turned into huge messes. My first engine I was given by the company my dad worked for. It had been sitting for several years. It was full of mud dauber nests. My dad wouldn't let me take it apart for a good cleaning. It ran for about a week before the oil turned into a dirt filled mess and cleaned out the bearings. I took it apart and found dead wasps inside the galley and in the pan.
My last install was the 468 I have now. My boss was there when I put it in and started it. He watched because he it took him most of the day to get his 350 started and running after a he installed a long block.
I popped the distributer in and put the wires on, hooked everything up and started it. I started it checked the timing and broke in the cam. He was in total disbelieve that an engine install and initial start could go that easy.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
This isn't to brag but rather to share some insight to those that fire up a new engine without finishing the install. What I mean is starting it up without accessories hooked up or otherwise just not ready to be started.

After half of the year has gone by I threw some bearings in my old 350 and finished up the installation tonight. When I say threw I mean cleaned everything thoroughly, mic'd everything and took my time assembling and double checking things. I reused the rings, cam and timing chain. The bore was in good condition and while the cam shows some wear it should hold up until the end of the racing season.

So tonight I turned the key and it started right up, no hiccups, backfires, leaks, or other issues.......so far! I'm no expert, but I have done this enough times to have a good idea what it takes to get it right. And I learned how to get it right by doing everything that is wrong.

My first engine I put together I had the cam out 180, tore it apart and put it back together wrong again. Second engine I did the same thing and bent a few pushrods in the process (you'd think I learned the first go around). Third I blew an oil line and sprayed oil all over the garage. Another dumb thing I did was take the car up the street with only hoses holding the radiator in - the radiator didn't like meeting the fan but I was in a hurry to get it running.....

So the moral of the story.....take your time, check everything three times, and don't cut anything short just to hear it run....don't get discouraged and learn from your mistakes.....most of us have probably been down that road.

Weather permitting I should be back to the track this coming weekend.
Some solid info ! and after reading some of the posts asking for help lately it should be very helpful.

My suggestions for pre firing a fresh build if your a noob :

Step 1 READ THE DISTRIBUTOR INSTALL STICKY!
and for that matter SEARCH posts containing subject matter that you have questions with, such as : correct valve adjustment procedure, & firing order.

Other tips:
Fill the cooling system with water only in case you have a leak you don't end up with a mess.
Pre oil the engine, verify you have oil pressure & no leaks !
Prime the fuel bowls. Make sure you have a charged battery and power to coil with key on..... Check, check and double check.

Run some fans in front of the grill and have a fire extinguisher handy or at least a couple wet towels to throw over the carburetor if something goes wrong.
Drink beers only after the job is deemed a success, not during install:rolleyes:

And now:
Some very experienced individuals have spent the time to provide information for others at this A+ website.
When the people who contribute technical info see the same noob questions asked over & over again I can imagine that they in time become frustrated.
I fear they in turn cease to contribute & the end result is they leave the website & that sucks because I for one found their technical advise &
insight extremely valuable.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes we do live and learn, My first engine (350): Had the heads rebuilt with big valves and flowed, block was all machined and decked, crank was checked and polished, rods sized, new race pistons and rings, new cam and lifters, pushrods, rockers, timing chain, bearings, air gap manifold, Mallary dizzy, new carby, alterantor, everything was new!! even the trany was rebuilt. Built it up over a 2 and half year period then came the day to drop it all in......Yay!! Took my time over the week and then it was time to start it. Checked oil level as I primed the oil pump with an old dizzy I converted to drive of a drill to get the slippery stuff through the motor then dropped in the dizzy and timed it up and plugged it in. Right.....ready to turn it over......cranked it over a few times and then it fired up, bought the revs up to about 2K and quickly put the timing light on and timed it a bit better and let it run to break the cam in checking for any leaks, after about 10 mins I noticed the headers were starting to smoke alittle (they were new) but didn't worry about it, then noticed it was getting quite hot there the headers bolt on to the heads, while looking around keeping my eye on things my mouth dropped and my heart stopped.........**** !! the radiator cap was sitting to one side, stopped the engine and sure enough I forgot the freakin water in the radiator!! Came back to it the next day and filled it up and checked everything again and started it up again hoping I hadn't done any damage, seemed to be OK, took it for a drive and drove good, about a month later I had it dyno tuned and end result was 300hp at the wheels which I was happy with. Few months later took it drag racing with the club and best time was 13.4 on the 1/4 mile. Anyhow some months after that it just didn't seem right, would smoke real bad when I floored it and would always smell fumey. Got to the point were I pulled one on the heads of and found score marks on one of the bores so out came the engine and stripped it down and found the rings, all bearings and cam lobes totally worn. Had to get the whole thing rebuilt again. Second time I didn't screw up!!

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Yes we do live and learn, My first engine (350): Had the heads rebuilt with big valves and flowed, block was all machined and decked, crank was checked and polished, rods sized, new race pistons and rings, new cam and lifters, pushrods, rockers, timing chain, bearings, air gap manifold, Mallary dizzy, new carby, alterantor, everything was new!! even the trany was rebuilt. Built it up over a 2 and half year period then came the day to drop it all in......Yay!! Took my time over the week and then it was time to start it. Checked oil level as I primed the oil pump with an old dizzy I converted to drive of a drill to get the slippery stuff through the motor then dropped in the dizzy and timed it up and plugged it in. Right.....ready to turn it over......cranked it over a few times and then it fired up, bought the revs up to about 2K and quickly put the timing light on and timed it a bit better and let it run to break the cam in checking for any leaks, after about 10 mins I noticed the headers were starting to smoke alittle (they were new) but didn't worry about it, then noticed it was getting quite hot there the headers bolt on to the heads, while looking around keeping my eye on things my mouth dropped and my heart stopped.........**** !! the radiator cap was sitting to one side, stopped the engine and sure enough I forgot the freakin water in the radiator!! Came back to it the next day and filled it up and checked everything again and started it up again hoping I hadn't done any damage, seemed to be OK, took it for a drive and drove good, about a month later I had it dyno tuned and end result was 300hp at the wheels which I was happy with. Few months later took it drag racing with the club and best time was 13.4 on the 1/4 mile. Anyhow some months after that it just didn't seem right, would smoke real bad when I floored it and would always smell fumey. Got to the point were I pulled one on the heads of and found score marks on one of the bores so out came the engine and stripped it down and found the rings, all bearings and cam lobes totally worn. Had to get the whole thing rebuilt again. Second time I didn't screw up!!
wow, thats crazy. lesson learned

1 - 6 of 6 Posts