Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, taking short cuts while building this rear up up. Instead of doing something as simple as mounting one of the tires I gaged clearance from pictures and memory. BAD IDEA.. I post this in the hopes Ill learn to not take short cuts by flaming myself publicly and maybe someone else might take the extra step.

So After all the welding, painting and bolting up was done dumm nutts decided to finally mount a tire. OH MAN!!! The inside of the tire is like 1/16" away from the sway bar arm. Not touching but too close.

So, its luckily not gonna take any rewelding. It is a speedway engineering three piece bar. I can get one in 40.5" in length to replace the 42" bar. It will slide right in and the rates will be the same, thinner wall tube. So its 90 bucks, not bad, but stupid. Ill hang this bar in the garage for a reminder to me to take the extra step. I shouldnt be making these stupid mistakes at this point. JR

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I thought I had the market cornered on that kind of stuff.

Good to know I have company!

Bet you won't ever do that again...

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
a guy that works for me came in recently and said "boss...i made a stupid mistake..."i replied "are there any SMART mistakes?"...:D
don't be too hard on yourself.BEEN THERE DONE THAT over,and over,and over again:yes:.heck...i've sworn never to make "that" mistake again and eventually did that too.we all do it and will continue to from time to time.learn from it and be glad there's a relatively inexpensive fix.
leftcoast carl.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yup, taking short cuts while building this rear up up. Instead of doing something as simple as mounting one of the tires I gaged clearance from pictures and memory. BAD IDEA.. I post this in the hopes Ill learn to not take short cuts by flaming myself publicly and maybe someone else might take the extra step.

So After all the welding, painting and bolting up was done dumm nutts decided to finally mount a tire. OH MAN!!! The inside of the tire is like 1/16" away from the sway bar arm. Not touching but too close.

So, its luckily not gonna take any rewelding. It is a speedway engineering three piece bar. I can get one in 40.5" in length to replace the 42" bar. It will slide right in and the rates will be the same, thinner wall tube. So its 90 bucks, not bad, but stupid. Ill hang this bar in the garage for a reminder to me to take the extra step. I shouldnt be making these stupid mistakes at this point. JR
Your last name must be Moore.I got a set of new tires mounted on my wheels today,left side,right side specific.I get the tires cleaned up,set the driver side wheels on one side of the garage and pass side on the other side of the garage.I get them on the car and I still managed to get them on backwards.They will be like that for awhile.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Margaritas and measuring don't mix!:turn:

John
Hahaha.. Ok, just for that Im gonna short yer drink when you come out. Geee, tastes like mountain dew LOL Actually, this mistake was pre-margarita sunday. Figures.

Speedway has some great folks. Called them friday afternoon and it was out on monday. Its all back together already. And wow, it fits this time. Now I just gotta find a use for a 300lbs torsion bar. Hmmmm. JR

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
got any pictures of the swaybar setup. My rear is narrowed and while I do have plans to get a rear sway bar in the future I haven't looked into it yet.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got any pictures of the swaybar setup. My rear is narrowed and while I do have plans to get a rear sway bar in the future I haven't looked into it yet.
I do have pics, abunch. Im waiting to set them all up and post as one big post of the entire rear suspension change. Basically its a speedway three piece bar. I used their mounts and welded them to a cradle I made to fit my frame. I made some axle tabs to connect the lower bar ends. Really simple. And whats nice, and difficult is you can get just about any bar rate you want. That is difficult too cause where do you start? Like whats a good rate. So I ended up, after alot of reading and researching, with a rate of 258lbs. Ill be able to tell how far Im off after driving it. Pics soon. JR

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I do have pics, abunch. Im waiting to set them all up and post as one big post of the entire rear suspension change. Basically its a speedway three piece bar. I used their mounts and welded them to a cradle I made to fit my frame. I made some axle tabs to connect the lower bar ends. Really simple. And whats nice, and difficult is you can get just about any bar rate you want. That is difficult too cause where do you start? Like whats a good rate. So I ended up, after alot of reading and researching, with a rate of 258lbs. Ill be able to tell how far Im off after driving it. Pics soon. JR
Cool, I'll be looking for the post in the future.

More parts to add to my list of purchases.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts