Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i am starting to plan for my interior soon and i keep going back and forth with the color and style seats i want to go with it so i want to hear with you guys think , alot of you may be following my build already, but i posted a pic of the car again, keep in mind that body color was carried to the dash and all door trim aswell, i have mounted up covan dash panels with autometer phantom gauges , the outside of the car is pro touring styling

so i have stock style seats factory buckets that have a cheap red tweed job on them , (need to be redone either way)

so i am stuck on the color red ? or black ? factory seat covers

or do i go with these nice aftermarket seats , and get the rear seat coverd to match

let me kno what you think please......................

heres the pics

so these in black or red

or something like this more factory styling in red or black with body color trim

·
Registered
302 Posts
Whatever color you choose Frank...no highbacks please. :no:
Seeing those seats tops over the door sill will kill me. :yes:
Gotta keep the interior vintage...please. That posted red interior looks sharp! :devil:

·
Premium Member
7,758 Posts
I agree. High-back seats don't cut it in a 1st gen.

I'd go with the stockers and restore them nicely.

My 64 is also going to be silver and I'm probably going with a black interior.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Pro touring is nice. DO NOT do the RED. I don't think it will at all go well. However, if you do the nice racing seats in lack with a grey insert, I think it would look awesome.
Protouring is all about using the newest and best technology in the otter skin of a classic, making a new car in an old cool shell. There is no reason that you should limit the new technology to the engine or wiring, carry it through to the most comfortable and safe seats available, not some 40+ old buckets. It's not a vintage car, you are not limited to vintage seats. Just MHO.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Probably not many will agree with me but I love to make classic cars modern; I am not much for keeping things original if I can tastefully upgrade them. In this case I like the aftermarket seats since you are going with the Pro-Touring look. I also think the all red interior is overpowering so I would go with black. Perhaps black with red stitching and some red accents inside? Maybe some red in the door panels?

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
i got a set of those in black in my 71 i like em just make sure you dont have to turn a wheel to move the seat up, but mine were free and new so im not gonna complain.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here's an idea: check out some junkyards for small-car seats. Mazda and some Toyota seats are small enough and low enough to look right in your 1st-gen, and they're cheaper and more comfortable than the racing-style buckets. As to color (and this is purely personal), I'd go with maybe a charcoal gray, with an accent color like orange or red. These color seats are easily attained, and the shade can be carried through to the door panels and even the dash, with the accent color inserted down the middle.

This is the dash in my '64 Nova wagon, which will be two-tone, Prowler Silver and Ford Ranger Copper, as an example. The interior will be largely light gray.

By the way, black in Florida for seats is NOT AN OPTION! :eek:

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guy... i defintely hear what you are saying about the highbacks, i just want something comfortable i plan on taking this car on some long trips and know how the lowbacks can be after awhile... but i will take all you guys input into account before making my decision, i like the idea of the dark gray interior i actually nerver thought about that ......keep em coming

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
You've got 2 things to work on here. Style and color.

It's pro touring so that rules out a stock interior, it needs to be more modern.

That said about 30 % of ride quality of the car is in the seats. Make sure you like the fit and feel. Original 60's spring/foam seats leave a lot to be desired. Some race seats are miserable, some are very comfortable. There are a ton of late model take out seats that will fit your application, and the ride quality is engineered into them. Super comfy. Head rests are a personal deal and I leave that up to the client. Personally I can live with them in a sedan, but hate them in a hardtop or convertible.

Color: You have body color inside the car so that kind of dictates your direction. I would love to see a blood red interior (not the 60's bright orange/red) in your car, but that would be hard to pull off with the grey interior paint. Keep in mind a multi color interior gets very busy looking and detracts from the overall design. An all black interior would certainly "go" with the grey but how many black interiors have you seen? Yawn....You might want to try a medium grey that compliments the outside/interior paint color, with a darker charcoal carpet for easier maintainence.

If it's pro touring it needs to be modern. Go check out the new car lots, and see the latest trends. I recently got to drive a new Pontiac G8. It was a white car with a red and black interior. When I heard red/black I thought the worst. Let me tell ya, it was very striking and subdued at the same time. Right down to the red face gauges. Awesome looking interior. But that's why those designers get the big bucks I guess.

Rich

·
Registered
309 Posts
Pro-Car Rally's!

You can take off the headrest so that it doesn't show over the door window line.

John
Wow thanks for this suggestion even though I was not the object of this thread! I believe I just found my new seats. Although they dont seem to have prices on their website as long as they are ridiculous I am pretty sure this is the way I will go :D

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Pro-Car Rally's!

You can take off the headrest so that it doesn't show over the door window line.

John
I like this idea.
I agree with everyone saying the modern highbacks just dont look right in an early car. They may be super comfortable but they seem way out of place. I bet those procars are super comfortable and dont look to way off.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
a good upholsterer can take a comfortable high-back seat frame and cut down the backrest(like the style with an integrated headreast built in) to give it the low slung "original style" look.i'm also a strong advocate for keeping the seat back below the belt line,but i'm using audi 10 way power/heated seats in my wagon build .the material will be done in a classic style but the seats will provide mucho comfort and will wrap slightly on my sides to keep me well planted.
leftcoast carl.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Personally I like the looks of the vintage red buckets, with red carpet. That makes for a nice looking interior to me. I had my seats redone in the original pattern, and like the old school look. But with a Pro Touring car, I think newer interior styles could be considered, as long as they are not too radical.

Tiny

·
Registered
710 Posts
I agree with the others saying to go with black or a charcoal interior. I too would stay away from the high backs in your car. The classic look is what wins for me in those generation Novas.

·
Registered
485 Posts
seats

I say go with what you like. Here is a set of seats Im just finishing up. There carbon fiber over leather. I love them, my car is a hybred Pro Street/Tour

Pictures are not very good

1 - 20 of 25 Posts