Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... sort them out for me. Is 62 the first year for the Nova styled Beaumont and when did they stop and go to the Chevelle body? Am I correct saying 65 was the first Acadian (Nova style body)?

Is this correct?
62-64 Beaumont (Nova styled body)
65 Beaumont (Chevelle styled body)
65 up were Acadians (Nova styled body)

·
13,717 Posts
.... sort them out for me. Is 62 the first year for the Nova styled Beaumont and when did they stop and go to the Chevelle body? Am I correct saying 65 was the first Acadian (Nova style body)?
Is this correct?
62-64 Beaumont (Nova styled body)
65 Beaumont (Chevelle styled body)
65 up were Acadians (Nova styled body)
Here you go, Paul. The Acadian/Beaumont story is complicated and convulted.

62-67 Acadian's with Chevy II type body. Beaumont was a model in this Acadian line until 1964.

64-65 Acadian Beaumont's with Chevelle type body, but there was still an Acadian with Chevy II type body in Invader & Canso series til the end of '67.

66-69 Beaumonts without the Acadian name in Chevelle type body.

68-71 Acadian's with 3rd generation Chevy II/Nova body (built in U.S.)

I've probably missed something here, but I'm sure Cnaso Dan is waiting to pick up the missing pieces:).

Bob

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
In support of what bob said. here are 2 scans, 1 from an acadian parts manual and 1 from a beaumont parts manual. the acadian book lists invader, canso and sport deluxe for 67 but no models for 68-71, just 2 door coupe and 4 door sedan.

·
Registered
338 Posts
TO: taz3, CdnL79 Registry and stephenzone:)
FYI:yes:

The Acadian used ChevyII/Nova body from 1962-71.
From 1976-87, Pontiac Acadian was a version of Chevrolet Chevette, ugh!
For 1964-65, Acadian Beaumont was a Pontiac version of Chevrolet Chevelle.
For 1966-69, Beaumont dropped Acadian prefix, became separate make model.
Beaumont dropped after 1969, after which GM Canada sold Pontiac LeMans.

I have some links to Canada's Acadian Beaumont and Canso history.
Supports much of what CdnL79 Registry posted above in this thread.
If you are interested in digging for more facts, see below:

This one I like, brief and has short facts on Acadians.:cool:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadian_(automobile)

GM is 100 years old in Canada, started in 1908.
A lot of stuff here, covers Acadian Invader, Beaumont and Canso too.
http://wiki.gmnext.com/wiki/index.php/Canada_Only_General_Motors_Cars

This one is 4 link pages long with links to all GM Canada stuff.
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Acadian_(automobile)

I think y'all will find this very interesting!:D

Gary

·
13,717 Posts
Thanks for the info, Gary, but don't believe everything you see or read on Wikipedia. The picture of the yellow Acadian they caption as a 1963 is really a 1962:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Bob

·
Registered
338 Posts
OK Bob,
I'm 57 and know that fact very well about don't believe....

And man, you've got some sharp eyes. Mine tend to get blurry about this time of the day! Was that a 62 Invader?
Never mind, that was a 1963, uh, 1962 Acadian Beaumont convertible!

Gary

·
13,717 Posts
OK Bob,
I'm 57 and know that fact very well about don't believe....
And man, you've got some sharp eyes. Mine tend to get blurry about this time of the day! Was that a 62 Invader?
Never mind, that was a 1963, uh, 1962 Acadian Beaumont convertible!
Gary
I'm 66, so i know all about that eye thing.....and more:). Yes, the yellow car is a 62 Acadian Beaumont convertible. I owned one in the mid 60's...Nassau Blue, white manual top, bucket seats, PS and PG. Sold it in 1969 to raise a downpayment on our first home. Never saw it again. Because it wasn't anything special at the time, I never even took a picture of it. Just another one that got away.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
For 1966-69, Beaumont dropped Acadian prefix, became separate make model.
Beaumont dropped after 1969, after which GM Canada sold Pontiac LeMans.

I think y'all will find this very interesting!:D

Gary
Gary,

Almost a completely true statement, and I don't mean to stir the old pot once again, but the Acadian Beaumont WAS NOT a Pontiac version of the Chevy Chevelle.

These car lines although influenced by Pontiac design centers and industrial infrastructrure, were technically their own "stand alone" marquee or brand.

I am just saying....lololol:D:D:D

The Acadians were used to provide the Pontiac dealerships with an option for the Canadian public on a smaller (the first version of "compact" vehicles) vehicle option. The Pontiac culture itself does not claim the Acadian marquee, but culturally speaking, Canadians automatically tie the two marquees because they grew-up used to seeing them in dealerships among the Pontiacs.

In Puerto Rico, they started as a single marquee dealership, and eventually were offered in GMC dealerships, but admitedly, they were also considered a more generic version of the Chevy II, The Chevy II Nova, and the Nova.

GerryLP:cool:

·
Registered
338 Posts
To GerryLP and all our devout Acadian car fans in this forum,

Like Gerry stated previously, I also did not mean to stir up the old stew pot controversy about Acadian Cansos and ChevyII Novas.

There have several threads posted recently (and in years past) about differences between the 1966-67 Canso SDs and 1966-67 ChevyII Novas.

What I was trying to do was to make it clear about the 1967 Canso SD identification, emblems, etc. so that Sean from M2Machines.com could make an accurate 1/64 diecast 1967 Canso SD model in the coming year. :)yes:Yeah, I know you guys would like that to be a 1966 instead). But I did not mean to cause any hurt feelings, if I did I am sorry about that.:eek:

By the way, Sean let us know if you have enough HD quality pics of all of the 1967 Canso SD badges, emblems, louvers, and moldings. Sean if you don't have enough, I am sure guys on this site will be glad to post some more or email them to you.:D

Gary

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,869 Posts
Do any off you brothers to the great white north have a pic of an '62-65 Invader ?:D I've seen some in a book but not a good picture of one.

Aloha,Ric

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
To GerryLP and all our devout Acadian car fans in this forum,

Like Gerry stated previously, I also did not mean to stir up the old stew pot controversy about Acadian Cansos and ChevyII Novas.

There have several threads posted recently (and in years past) about differences between the 1966-67 Canso SDs and 1966-67 ChevyII Novas.

What I was trying to do was to make it clear about the 1967 Canso SD identification, emblems, etc. so that Sean from M2Machines.com could make an accurate 1/64 diecast 1967 Canso SD model in the coming year. :)yes:Yeah, I know you guys would like that to be a 1966 instead). But I did not mean to cause any hurt feelings, if I did I am sorry about that.:eek:

By the way, Sean let us know if you have enough HD quality pics of all of the 1967 Canso SD badges, emblems, louvers, and moldings. Sean if you don't have enough, I am sure guys on this site will be glad to post some more or email them to you.:D

Gary
Gary,

No offense taken. Confusion, it seems, should be the caveat for Acadian-related discussions. It is a theme that I return to in my books month after month. :thumbsup:

For example, the book below:

Has several pages to the discussion on the Acadian from pages 275 through 288. And just today, I caught a confusing reversal-of-sorts between the 1963 and 1964 Acadians. On page 276, the author says [about the 1963 Acadians] that "The Canso was placed midway between the Beaumont and the Invader." But since the book does not offer images for an example of an Invader, it is hard to gage whether the Beaumont line started below the Canso, and later moved-up. Or if the line-up was always Invader-Canso-Beaumont. On page 278, the author tells us that after the splitting of the Beaumont into its own line series, that the Canso picked-up the exterior deluxe trim that the Beaumont had used. But still, I wonder why the lack of photos on the Invaders.

Anyway,page 281 also has a nice image of a 1966 Acadian Canso Sports Deluxe Coupe...:D..trying to scan the page to post it...

GerryLP:cool:

·
Registered
338 Posts
:yes:Ric and Gerry, check out these brochures on Canadian Poncho!

Canadian Poncho Forum Link:
http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=118110&subForumID=409062&p=2

Just skip above link to go to brochures!
BROCHURES:

http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=118110&p=3&topicID=20288222

http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=118110&p=3&topicID=20287382

http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=118110&p=3&topicID=20287056

http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=118110&p=3&topicID=20512497

Sorry, no link to 1964 Acadian!:(
But I believe Ric will like the '62, '63 & '65 brochures.:)
I also think Gerry won't need to scan that book pic of '66 Canso SD if he looks at the above link to the 1966 Brochure!:D

Gary

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input here and the info from 69CAMARO, I'm aware of the none Pontiac deal and it's misunderstandings, it will probably never go away.:turn:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Canso_Dan,

Is there any way you could post a "STICKY" at top of Canadaian Forum Page
with links to the 1962-71 Acadian Brochures?:rolleyes:

We have a gap in the discussion here, with nothing on the 1964 & 1967 Acadian Brochures. I, for one, would really like to see those 2 especially!:yes:

Gary

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts

So you would probably find, folks with a 64-65 "Chevelle bodied" Acadian-Beaumont on or attached to the Chevelle sites?? and 62-67 Acadian Canso's would be on this site! correct?
Hi 427carl (from Poncho Site) don't believe everything you read there. This was not permitted to be discussed there but we have been several Threads on that topic here. http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89985&page=3

If your intend is to stir things up over here, DON'T!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should find plenty here!:yes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts