Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have more details this time. My neighbor is selling a 1974 chevy nova, 2 door sedan, 350 2bbl v8, made in van nuys, CA(I got that from a vin decoder) 78,000 miles, a/c, automatic... anyhow, I'm wanting to know if this is a good price or is it too much? He's asking $2,000
good:
glass is great
chrome bumper and trim is all like new
interior is great, like new seats and headliner and dash
only one small spot of rust on whole car

bad:
it's been sitting for about 8 years, so the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced
the motor siezed up from sugar in the gass tank
tires are flat and rims dont match
a couple of small dents, with two big dents

so...take it for 2,000(he asked 2,500, but I talked him down) or ask for lower? thanks

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I guess it's an O.K. price. Not a huge "bargain" IMO. Mileage sounds low for the age. It's may be a 178K or a 278K car FWIW (unless documented).
A/C...good. Tranny may be O.K. as well. Just sitting won't necessarily ruin it. If so another $1K.
Plan on $1500-$2000 to just get the engine up to stock (or minimum HiPo standards) with your labor.
Body and paint another $3-4 K minimum for a decent job.
How much rust? Any pics?

Add up a this speculative estimate and you've got $6-8K into it already. Now what can you get in a "turn key" decent ride for $6-$8K?
Probably a pretty nice Nova. ;)

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
That doesn't sound like a great bargain to me.Plan on investing minimum $10,000 to get it up to par.I would offer him 16 $100 bills.Say its alls you have...take it or leave it.Just my opinion.bm

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I agree with Max I paid almost double that for parts car.If the body is solid (no rust) the bolt ons tend to be easier to find many GM's use parts that fit for the mechanical end.350's,trans are reasonably easy to find and change compared to 1/4's,fenders,doors & parts like that especially if the numbers are not a concern.It can only go up in value IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, I dont want to buy a car outright. I want to work on it with my dad so we can spend time together.( sorry if that sounds stupid)plus, that way I dont have to fork out all the money at once. I can buy parts a little at a time.

The one rust spot there was is only about the size of a quarter, and it's on the outer most lip of the fender, so I can easialy fix it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I want to work on it with my dad so we can spend time together.( sorry if that sounds stupid)
Man, NOT AT ALL! :)

Just wanted to give you an objective opinion on what you may be up against. Remember...we're going off little info and
no pics here.

We're not talking HUGE bucks here either way on the initial price. ;) The FINAL resto price will be significant is all I'm trying to imply.

If you're happy with several opinions, and you feel that this is the car for you, then go for it. :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
jason_r83 said:
well, I dont want to buy a car outright. I want to work on it with my dad so we can spend time together.( sorry if that sounds stupid)plus, that way I dont have to fork out all the money at once. I can buy parts a little at a time.

The one rust spot there was is only about the size of a quarter, and it's on the outer most lip of the fender, so I can easialy fix it.
Now that sounds great to me ... talk with your Dad and find out how much you both can commit to the project - not just $$'s but time as well. Cash talks volumes when you get down to final negotiations and if you can get it for less than $2K ... I say go for it and don't look back.

I will caveat and say that the '73 and '74 are difficult to find "all" the parts for. But the search is sometimes half the fun - you have the support of everyone here on this site.

Shane (my son) and I have been working on his (ours :D ) '74 for almost two years now. Yes we probably paid a bit much for the car initially, have spent more money than we thought - but the time we have spent together has been priceless.

It's a great experience ... here's to more "quality time together" on your Project !!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to get a $4000 or $5000 dollar loan(he will co-sign) I wanted to do this so I can build credit(I'm almost 21 and have no credit whatsoever) and this should be enough for a good start of the project

·
3,863 Posts
Hey Jason welcome to the site from someone just south of you.

Just a point of view, but according to Mythbusters, sugar in the gas tank won't seize the motor. If it is truly seized there is an alternate reason.

By the way, I have a 402 big block that will fit in there just fine that I'm looking to send to another home (one to many big blocks in the garage and I need the room).

GOOOOO GATORS... Final Four bound.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
its not a super good bargian, but its okay....i got my '73 with a 250I6 and virtually no rot, just some rust, straight body, 26,000 ORIGINAL MILES for $500. granted, it has a 6 and its the cheapest cheapest nodel, but its still very clean....all it needs is a fresh batch of gas, an oil change, and to soak the carb over night and it will run..... it was the project car, now its the parts car thanks to my '71:rolleyes: :D :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Jason,
Offer 1500 but,if you want it pay what it takes.One thing I will say,be prepared to find more Rust when you get into it.

Joe

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Never sounds stupid to work with your dad.I love it when my 12 yr old son asks to help work on my Nova with me.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
taz3 said:
Never sounds stupid to work with your dad.I love it when my 12 yr old son asks to help work on my Nova with me.

im 15, and im currenty building my nova with my dad...but ive been working on cars since day one, because my dad always had fast cars and he owns an autobody shop, and his dad owned an autobody shop and on and on. i enjoy working with my father b/c he knows his sh!t and hes NOT a pain in my @ss:eek: :rolleyes: ....now my older bothers a different story:rolleyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, I was disscusing it with my dad, and he will loan me the money to buy the car.Then we'll get it to the house, clean it up, and strip it down and see what all needs to be replaced or worked on. Then I'll see how much I will need, and then take out a loan for the parts.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
NOVACA1N said:
im 15, and im currenty building my nova with my dad...but ive been working on cars since day one, because my dad always had fast cars and he owns an autobody shop, and his dad owned an autobody shop and on and on. i enjoy working with my father b/c he knows his sh!t and hes NOT a pain in my @ss:eek: :rolleyes: ....now my older bothers a different story:rolleyes:
That's cool to read my dad and I have different intrests kinda sucks he lost his taste for cars a little before I started playing with them and we just do our own thing so it's great my guy likes it.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I think that if I found a 68 Nova from California and they were only asking 2K, I would be all over it. It sounds like you found a great starting point.
glass is great
Glass isn't real expensive, but it's great you won't need it.
chrome bumper and trim is all like new
NOS chrome and trim are hard to find and expensive if don't need them that's a money saver
interior is great, like new seats and headliner and dash
Interior parts are expensive also and 74 parts are hard to come by.
only one small spot of rust on whole car
It doesn't need rustyfloor pans, quarter panels innner and outer, wheelwells, dash, hood fenders and doors replaced. You just saved about 5-6 in replacement parts and the labor to install all of it.

Picking up a used 350 and T-350 or getting a new GM crate motor and a rebuilt T-350 is cheap compared tp rebuilding and entire car body and then doing the engine and trans also. Look on e-Bay at the total rust buckets selling for 3-5K, makes me think a Cali car would be nice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I'll see at the last minute how much I can talk him down, even though I'm sure the price was firm. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures. I'll take some as soon as I get it, and some after I clean it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts