Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have to hone the cylinders a little to bring them into specs for the KB pistons I'm installing. I know I need to oil the hone as I work, but I'm not sure what oil works best for a home-hone job. What do you guys recommend?

Also, is there any preference to using one of those 4-legged stone hones over one of the old dingle-ball hones?

Your comments are greatly appreciated!!:D

Dave

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Bluesman said:
I'm going to have to hone the cylinders a little to bring them into specs for the KB pistons I'm installing. I know I need to oil the hone as I work, but I'm not sure what oil works best for a home-hone job. What do you guys recommend?

Also, is there any preference to using one of those 4-legged stone hones over one of the old dingle-ball hones?

Your comments are greatly appreciated!!:D

Dave
The dingle-ball things are for de-glazing, aren't they?

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
In my opinion the only thing you can do at home to the bores of a block are goof them up. If you have to increase the bore to fit a piston, take it to a shop and have it done and ask them to use torque plates when they do it. All those little drill operated devices for use at home are glaze breakers not hones designed for increasing bore sizes.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
the most I would do at home is use a ball deglazer to break the glaze off the cylinder if I were installing new rings in a used bore (and barely used at that not one with a lot of miles) anyway I would use auto tranny fluid (ATF) if it were me for this purpose...just my 2 cents.....any real honing IMO MUST be done by a pro in a machine shop.;) :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The most powerful cylinder,is a straight and true used cylinder;)

RED67:chev:

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice! OK...so do I take both the block and the pistons down to the machine shop?

Dave

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Bluesman said:
Thanks for the advice! OK...so do I take both the block and the pistons down to the machine shop?

Dave
If it were me, I'd take the block,pistons, rods, and crank and tell them to make it right. I'd never trust myself to measure clearances and assemble it properly when it only takes one screw-up to waste hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of parts/effort. :eek:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
if this block has been run and yer changing pistons, ya may find the shop'll tell ya they won't be able ta guarantee the cylinders'll clean up. there's gonna be imperfections in the cylinders and the power hone only knows one job, ta make 'em round and make 'em straight. with the minimum ya need honed for clearances, the cylinders MIGHT not clean up...

be aware of this...

hope i helped

oh, yeah, do as "Wrecks" said... take pistons etc withya

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Take the block and the pistons to your shop. A good shop cabable of doing it right will have a measuring tool called a dial bore gauge that they can use to measure the bores. They might be able to tell you if they can do the job or not depending on the wear. If you get into stuff like this in the future the better thing to do is have the motor bored before you order the pistons so you know it will clean up with the overbore you expect to use. After you bore it when the pistons come you hone it to fit and everything is sized correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tomorrow morning I'm taking it to Tim (only 40 years experience...do you think he knows what to do??) who will start by checking everything out to see if it is worth doing it right. This is intended to be a mild street build for my daughter to drive for a couple of years. After that ... stand by!!:D

Thanks for all your comments,

Dave

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Sounds like a great plan. Best of luck with it. RM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts