Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I posted this in the wrong place. I read the sticky on the flat tappet oil thread, but still am asking a question. Thanks.

I know that this is an old thread, and I have read, and reread it a couple of times. But not being an engine builder or rebuilder, I still have a question.
First off, I have an all stock L48 motor with about 70K miles on it in a '71. It's in Wisconsin, and stored for the winters. So my driving temps would be maybe 32-90's.
From all of the info provided, it looks like the Valvoline VR1 racing oil is more than adequate for my application. So have been considering using the Valvoline VR1 racing oil, but not sure of the weight. It appears to be widely available in 20W50, and lesser so in 10W30 or 30W.
Is 20W50 too heavy for near freezing temps, and 10W30 too light for higher temps? And straight 30W too heavy for the low temps, and too light for the higher temps?
I'm leaning towards the 20W50 simply because of availability, but don't want to "hurt" the motor.
I know that any suggestions would be opinions, but thanks for any insight on this.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
10w/30 and forget about it.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I use the Brad Penn in 10W40, good for both temp. extremes her in Ohio.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Agree

X2 on the Brad Penn. It has the zinc you need.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I can get the Brad Penn locally; 15W40 for $5.25 or 10W40 for $6.49. I'm guessing that I should be OK using the 15W40 and saving $1.25 @ qt? Thanks.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I live in the same sort of climate as you, and use the car under the same sort of conditions, and also have an L48 block (with some internal and external modifications though).

I use the Valvoline VR1 in a 10w30 weight, part number VV205. It's hard to get this weight locally, so I just order it from Jegs. It used to be $4.99/quart from them, but has now gone up $1.

IMO, the 20w50 or any of the straight weight versions of the VR1 are too heavy for a stock engine. Especially in the cooler weather of the early spring and late fall.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I can get the Brad Penn locally; 15W40 for $5.25 or 10W40 for $6.49. I'm guessing that I should be OK using the 15W40 and saving $1.25 @ qt? Thanks.
The 10W40 will be better than the 15 on cold start-up.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:DI had a really informative conversation with Ken Tyger at Brad Penn this afternoon.
With his permission, I have copied an e-mail he sent me, and posted it in the ZDDP tread.
It confirms some of the info that Veno worked so hard to track down and put out here for us. Our thanks again for his giving so unselfishly of his time to get the truth on the oil mystery. This info is crucial for a good number of the members on this forum. Now we can eliminate some of the anxiety while we are "cruising" in our vintage Novas.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I use Shell Rottella T 10w40 in my BB with no concerns. I find up here the big brand racing oils a tad over priced. We run Mobile 1 10w40 and 5w50 in our hydraulic cam SB race car, but it's almost $10 a quart up here compared to $25/ gallon in the US at Walmart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts