Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 327 and the conclusion i have come to is the oil shaft is too long. Is this possible i thought they were all the same. I put grease in the bottom of the dist and the gears. Gears went half way on and the shaft fully went on. I see summit sells intermediate shafts is this any different?

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I ran into the same thing...get the shorter shaft....simple fix....

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
all the front sump info is in Best of Powertrain

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
all the front sump info is in Best of Powertrain

I was looking for it and seems it's gone.

That does not mean that it is, just means "I" can't find it.:eek:

Al

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Go to NAPA, that is where I got mine.
How long ago? I think NAPA has discontinued it. You have a part number?
A lot of low volume parts are made by companies that have gone out of business recently.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Great. I've got a ton of money tied up into making these steel sleeved short shafts and Melling is making them now.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Great. I've a a ton of money tied up into making these and Melling is making them now.
I am not sure they ever stopped.

I am sure yours is a better unit with a great amount more QC.

I don't think the Melling unit uses the metal retaining sleeve.
Assumption on my part.

The 65 I just did did not have a metal sleeve.

Al

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
So the IS-55D is simply a stock replacement shaft that uses the stock nylon sleeve? I thought ripped me off and started to make a steel sleeve HD version. It's not clear from the Melling description but the Summit one says it has a steel sleeve. Not sure if it's pinned, supplied loose or simply an incorrect description. It also says it's for high volume pump but there is no high volume front sump pump so they may have the sleeve material wrong too.

NAPA no longer stocks the steel sleeve, so you can't easily retrofit the stock shaft. PN is superceded by the nylon sleeve.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
So the IS-55D is simply a stock replacement shaft that uses the stock nylon sleeve?
That is my assumption.:eek::rolleyes:

I can't find anyone to actually put there hands on one to verify.

I am 100% sure the one I had did not have the metal sleeve. Purchased just a few months ago.

I have gone threw the pic's of the pickup tube bracket modification and none include the drive shaft.

Al

·
Registered
491 Posts
The one I picked up at NAPA had the nylon ring. That was back in 2005.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts