Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking this question for a friend who's building a big block Chevy. It's a 502 and he's wondering about the oil ring gap. (I don't remember checking the gap's on my oil rings!) He was told it should be .015-.050 and his are right at .050. Should he be concerned?? Thanks guys.
Joe

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have always checked my oil ring and that seems a little wide to me. What was his compression ring at? We once ran into a problem where the oil rings were mispackaged.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has "file to fit" rings, so he's okay with the compression rings. He was just puzzled by the big gap on the oil rings. :confused::confused:
Joe

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Oil rings don't have a gap setting. You have the expander and two rails. Just put them on like the instructions say.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Oil rings don't have a gap setting. You have the expander and two rails. Just put them on like the instructions say.
LOL.. I was reading this and thinking oil ring GAP??? Haa, maybe he means the second ring. I have speed pro file fit and Ill have to look at the build sheet but they were at .022" gap, I think. Either way I used the recommended gap from the ring supplier and, forged manley pistons. JR

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I was taking it as he meant the second ring. The only way I have checked expander rings is by the tension it takes to pull the piston and rod through the cylinder.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I was taking it as he meant the second ring. The only way I have checked expander rings is by the tension it takes to pull the piston and rod through the cylinder.
:) Yeah, from the answers given you knew what he was asking. Funny how guys that know engines can get around the computer communication mishaps without a hitch. JR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts