Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running 5W40 Valvoline in my 327. I just got back from talking with my machinest and he told me 5's way to thin...Said the valvoline VR1 is great oil but I should be running 20w50..So I'm changing my oil today....He also told me to add Comp cam with every oil change, the zink will protect my cam.....Thats great cause he's going to give me a bottle everytime I change oil......How cool is that....:D:cool: What is everyone using for oil the the Hot weather state's..?????

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well I use 10 40 penzoil but I have a stock cam. My dad used straight 30 in his 76 silverado from the time he bought it, its somewhere over 500,000 miles on the original engine with no rebuild at the moment, it still doesn't smoke, and he used to drive it back and forth to Palm Springs every day:rolleyes: All the same I can't help but think a mixed grade is better for startup.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
to much to explain... read the sticky at the top of this forum entitled

ZDDP and Modern oils..

that thread addresses every question and comment made here so far....

enjoy

Veno

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Its going to be near 100 degrees in Central Arkansas tomorrow.

Both of my modern cars recommend 5W20. I guess the tolerances are closer than found in our old cars.

However, I run 10W30 in my 49 Chevy and it seems to work just fine. It has a crate 350 engine.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up on the sticky Veno...Much appreciated...

·
Registered
932 Posts
it got about 103 out here last summer for about 3weeks. l was hauling my trailer at the time my 350tbi was loosen oil pressure with 5w30 oil i went to a 10w30 she worked beautyfull. at one point i used 15w40 for about a week but it was so thick l was bogin out on the most simplest of hills.

in my 406 i used amsoil 20w50 worked perfect when racing

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
it got about 103 out here last summer for about 3weeks. l was hauling my trailer at the time my 350tbi was loosen oil pressure with 5w30 oil i went to a 10w30 she worked beautyfull. at one point i used 15w40 for about a week but it was so thick l was bogin out on the most simplest of hills.

in my 406 i used amsoil 20w50 worked perfect when racing

This makes no sense to me. 5W-30 and 10W-30 when warmed up are the same weight which is 30wt so you should not have seen any difference. And 15W-40 certainly wont cause your engine to bog. Not trying to be smart here but you could consider me an "oil connoisseur". I spend way to much time on bobistheoilguy.com

·
Registered
932 Posts
This makes no sense to me. 5W-30 and 10W-30 when warmed up are the same weight which is 30wt so you should not have seen any difference. And 15W-40 certainly wont cause your engine to bog. Not trying to be smart here but you could consider me an "oil connoisseur". I spend way to much time on bobistheoilguy.com
i figured that to.........but the truck dosn't lie l even have it here in my logs

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Like my old professor said, "multi weight oils was found by the salesman before it was finished in the lab". Much better today than when they started, but read your owners manual also. 10-30W in Texas by my owners manual. It shows the 5-30 is more designed for colder climates in my Pickup. 15-40 on the high mileage cars. My old mini van had to have the 15-40 after 90K. Engine was not worn, but the pumps were notorious for wear after 80K miles in the engine I had.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
in warmer weather states like AZ it is recommended in newer cars to run 10w-30. I ran a 10w-30 synthetic in all my trucks it seemed to work fine. As for an older car if its a stock grandma car I'd run 10w-40 and if its a performance engine I'd use 20w-50.

I wouldn't run any oils with that starburst label on there that says recommended for todays cars, those are the oils that have all of the zinc and such taken out. Not good for cams and springs.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
I ran Quakerstate 30wt in the Nova year round for 100K+ of not nice miles. It still runs pretty good, and sounds great.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I am posting up two links to the same thread.... but individual posts with in the thread..

both these posts deal directly with oil temp, ambient temp and viscosity for a given ambient temp range.. also is viscosity charts and a blurbe about increased bearing clearance....

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=801767&postcount=222

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=803949&postcount=229

Now the last chart is dealing with air cooled Porsche engines...so you have to allow for the fact of a non water cooled engine in the recommended viscosity ranges...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm no petroleum expert nor a racer, but I've been running 20W50 Valvoline in my 355 SBC/435HP in the 6-month +90 degree heat here in Central Florida, going to shows every weekend from Daytona to Kissimmee. :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts