Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my new z28 spring today to put in my stock m73 pump,what is the best way to ensure that the pin that i have to take out is going to stay in when i put it back in...red loc tight????????? thanks cranker

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The 70 psi Z28 spring is too much for that pump and more pressure than you'll ever need or want. Even with a 55 psi spring you'll need a special steel collared shaft as the stock shaft and plastic collar is marginal for performance use. There's a moderator that makes special Chevy II shafts for Steve's site members, but the user agreement won't let me advertise it directly in the forum.

The pin is tapered and shouldn't fall out if installed correctly. You can stake the surface next to the pin with a pin punch to crimp the hole tight.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
No, but the M73 is a unique pump that requires some different techniques from the regular pump.

There's a bunch of oil system info in Best of tech archive but most of the changes you want to do originated from the Durango Duece race engine project 7 or 8 years ago. The front sump system is a big pain and the pain increases with stroke and rod size. There isn't much in the way of front sump "performance" oil system parts available due to the lack of demand.
I was going to produce some parts, but I only got about 50 people mildly interested if the price was right. That wasn't enough to amortize tooling costs, so the price would have been too high.

Anyway, most if, not all what you need to know is in the Archive.
Pictures may be gone, (they don't stay around forever) but the information is still there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts