·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Oil pump-Melling

Pan- Stef's 7 quart.....stef's pans are great...of course not all of us have $1,000 to drop on an oil pan, so moroso's work just fine.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I run a Moroso Eliminator Pan #21016-7qt. 8 1/4" sump w/ kickouts, baffles, windage tray........$349. Was worth more than 20 h.p. on the dyno. I also run their 22100 standard volume/pressure pump, which I consider the best pump out there for a small block.
I really wanted to like the Mellings 10552 w/ bolt-on pickup, but after the pickup came unbolted(red loctite too) and sucked up a screw and did major dam..............Oh yeah, no vendor bashing here!
The Milodon 31167 pan is almost the same design and a couple bucks cheaper than the Moroso piece. Matt King(Car Craft/Hot Rod) dyno'd small and big block versions of the Milodon's and found the same 20-25 as I did.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
bowtie0069 said:
I run a Moroso Eliminator Pan #21016-7qt. 8 1/4" sump w/ kickouts, baffles, windage tray........$349. Was worth more than 20 h.p. on the dyno. I also run their 22100 standard volume/pressure pump, which I consider the best pump out there for a small block.
I really wanted to like the Mellings 10552 w/ bolt-on pickup, but after the pickup came unbolted(red loctite too) and sucked up a screw and did major dam..............Oh yeah, no vendor bashing here!
The Milodon 31167 pan is almost the same design and a couple bucks cheaper than the Moroso piece. Matt King(Car Craft/Hot Rod) dyno'd small and big block versions of the Milodon's and found the same 20-25 as I did.
That's almost the same price as that Stef's pan I listed above. Did your pan come with a pump and pickup like the Stef's pan does?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
710 Posts
What is the explanation of how an oil pan can make 20 extra HP? I'm not doubting it's possible, I just never understood how it happens. Is it in the design of the scrapers pulling oil (and therefore rotating mass) away from the crankshaft?

Other than the added HP, are there other benefits of a good pan for a street car engine? I was just looking at Moroso street/strip and other pans tonight and wondered if I should have upgraded from my stock pan on my new 383. For a ~425HP SBC in a street car is there any reason to uprgrade from a standard Chevy pan? My engine builder has already bolted mine on, but it's not too late to change if there's a good reason to do so.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JTW said:
What is explanation of how an oil pan can make 20 extra HP? I'm not doubting it's possible, I just never understood how it happens. Is it in the design of the scrapers pulling oil (and therefore rotating mass) away from the crankshaft?

Other than the added HP, are there other benefits of a good pan for street car engine? I was just looking at Moroso street/strip and other pans tonight and wondered if I should have upgraded from my stock pan on my new 383. For a ~425HP SBC in a street car is there any reason to uprgrade from a standard Chevy pan? My engine builder has already bolted mine on, but it's not too late to change if there's a good reason to do so.
When oil get's slung up on the crankshaft and rods, that's more mass you gotta spin and it takes more power to spin it.

IMO, I doubt you would notice the difference in a street-driven car. My motor spends all of it's time between 4500-6200, so I should see the benefits of having a windage tray.

·
Registered
710 Posts
DriveWFO said:
When oil get's slung up on the crankshaft and rods, that's more mass you gotta spin and it takes more power to spin it.

IMO, I doubt you would notice the difference in a street-driven car. My motor spends all of it's time between 4500-6200, so I should see the benefits of having a windage tray.
That makes sense. My engine builder asked me if I wanted to invest in a better pan, but never really pushed it so I assumed it wasn't necessary for a street-driven car. I just wanted to be sure it was a HP issue and wasn't an engine longevity issue. If the stock pan would inhibit proper oiling and shorten the life of the motor I would be willing to buy a better pan. Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'm using a Moroso pan: No. 20191, and a Melling HV55 pump. I would prefer the Moroso No. 22100 anti-cavitation standard volume pump and the recommended pick-up for that application. I may even exchange the HV55 for the Moroso pump next time the engine is out of the car.

With that pan, we had to cut the crank scraper out due to the longer stroke on my 383. The build in windage tray worked well. I have heard that the sheet metal windage trays don't work as well as the expanded metal trays.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
What is the explanation of how an oil pan can make 20 extra HP?
I have had some explain it like moving your hand in water vs air. You can move your hand through water; but it's much easier to move it through the air. Now imagine a crankshaft spinning at 6000 RPM moving through 20-50 motor oil. Each time one of the crank throws hits oil it slows the crankshaft down and it aerates the oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts