Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide on what oil pump to use on the new 383. I'm getting ready to order my oil pan and would like to get the pump/pickup in the same order. With all the discussions we've had on here, I'm thinking a standard volume/pressure SBC pump will work well. I see several different spring options available however.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I always use the stock pump in my BBC with the stronger spring which will make about 70 PSI max when it's cold but will make 50/60 max hot with 20/50 oil. My stuff makes 30/40 at idle which is about 1500 RPMs. I also run oil galley restrictors. I also always polish the pump dump piston to insure it doesn't stick ever. I knock a couple 10ths off the OD. Just what I do. RM

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I run a Melling hi volume pump and from Cranes tech tips that I receive, they recommend not using the oil restrictors because the extra oil up top cools the springs and puts extra lube on the cam lobes from the slpash and spray. No restrictors for me. That's just me. Dave

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Thanks for the info. Good article. I've broken pickups off, but never the pump. And the ones I broke were cheap crap. The ones I run now are solid as a rock. By the way, the ones I broke were on my dragster and was probably from shaking the tires out of the water. I changed my style and have had good results since. I broke two off in one season. One in three pieces. They were junk. Now I have a Milodon and a Reher Morrison deal. Quality pieces. Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts