Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and looked at buying a 81 Trans Am today and its been sitting for about 2 months since it was last ran but we checked the oil before we went to start it and the oil looked like bird poo it was kinda of a greenish white color but it dident look too good and I was wondering what caused it and whats wrong? Any info would help Thanks

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Probably anti-freeze and or water.:(

Is the radiator topped off still?

If not, the fluid may be in the oil pan.

Is the dip stick level over full?

You could try changing the oil and filter, filling up the rad (noting if it goes down) and cross your fingers.

How cold does it get where you live? IF the car was laid up w/o anti-freeze, she may have a cracked head or block.

See if you can eyeball the freeze plugs for being popped out too.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldent see any fluid in the radiator
I think the oil level was past the full mark but im not 100% sure
The oil fill can had a brown gunk on it that kinda looked like mud (rust?)
Most of the time its not too cold here what is the worst is the windchill (the worst this past winer was -11)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
the worst this past winer was -11
Not too bad! :eek: :D
I guess it's all relative. ;)

That engine condition sounds the worst that it could be. :(

Can you even bar it over to see if it's "stuck".

It may not even be rebuildable.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well im hoping its just a head gasket or something and the bearings arnt done for and nothing is cracked but if so then I have another engine in line for it :cool:
Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
A simple pressure test will tell you if it's leaking.
Remove the spark plugs before you try to bar it or crank over. If it is leaking coolant into the engine you don't want to hydrolock the cylinders and bend the rods.

I wouldn't assume it never froze especially in Texas where antifreeze isn't usually used. Someone may have added antifreeze after it froze and cracked.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He said it was running 2 months ago and its been sitting since and when we looked at it today it was like this

1 - 7 of 7 Posts