Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SBC that shows good oil pressure when started but after it warms up the pressure drops to near nothing.:eek: It starts very easy when it is cold but after it gets warm it starts very hard sometimes running the battery down. Any idea what could be the reason. :confused: Also where is the best place on a SBC to place the oil gauge fitting to get the most acurate/true reading? Thanks:)

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I have a SBC that shows good oil pressure when started but after it warms up the pressure drops to near nothing.:eek: It starts very easy when it is cold but after it gets warm it starts very hard sometimes running the battery down. Any idea what could be the reason. :confused: Also where is the best place on a SBC to place the oil gauge fitting to get the most acurate/true reading? Thanks:)
I would look at the accuracy of the guage you're now using. As for the hard starting condition, it sounds like the timing is too far advanced. Also, have the battery load tested, you could have a weak battery. I think you'll find the location at the back of the block is just as good as any other. Too many people using that location without issues to look for another worth using.

Jim Smith

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
What oil are you using? What filter? If one of the orange filters that start with "F", change it to another brand. (I like K & N)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is just an auto store over the counter ooil filter (blue).
I am going to hook up a new oil gauge to see if that is the problem.
I have been told that low pressure could be from a bad crank bearing or cam bearing. True/False? If low pressure is for real what are some basic causes, etc. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
What you are seeing is classic example of worn main and rod bearings (excess clearance). When the oil is cold and thick the pressure is good but hot and thinned out it drops off to near nothing. You can check with another gauge but I bet it will do the same thing. Not a cheap easy fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts